SPAM defense measures implemented

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

SPAM defense measures implemented

Post by jeff »

For a while, The Hop Vine Forum has been bombarded with SPAM accounts and posts. It was common to see 30 to 40 bogus SPAM posting accounts registered every day and these accounts were used to post inappropriate material and link lists in the forum. To combat the assault, some forum modifications were implemented with limited success.

The forum software is an open source project that is widely available. This makes it easy for spammers to identify vulnerabilities and write programs to post messages to forums all over the web. The BeerTools.com Hop Vine is no exception, and the community here has had to endure the onslaught.

Recently, I implemented a strategy designed to stop SPAM in its tracks. So far I don't see anymore SPAM activity. This could be because moderators are getting to it before I do, or the plan is actually working. If you have comments or you are experiencing problems using the forum since the changes occurred, you can post them under this topic.
Last edited by jeff on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: SPAM Defense

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Jeff,

Would you want the moderators to refrain to remove any spam postings for a week or so just to test your implementation? If so, would you specify a start and end date?

Thanks!

Ron (_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: SPAM Defense

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:Hi Jeff,

Would you want the moderators to refrain to remove any spam postings for a week or so just to test your implementation? If so, would you specify a start and end date?

Thanks!

Ron (_)3
That's probably not necessary, have you noticed a decline in spam postings over the last several weeks? Thanks for your help.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Spam Defense

Post by wottaguy »

Jeff...

I have noticed a big change in the amount of spam postings. (a lot less of them). I thought that maybe someone else was getting to them before me.

Thanks for all your hard work. I'm sure that everyone appreciates it.

Now...how do you feel about the suggestion of implementing a Partigyle Mash Designer?? (i had to ask...hee-hee)!!

Thanks again!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Reactivate PM Forum Feature?

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Jeff,

Since the new anti-spam measures have been highly successful, would it be possible to re-activate the forum's Private Message option? I have been trying to send a fellow member a PM and it seems that the messages are not being sent out. I really miss this valuable forum feature!
Wotta ya think??

Ron (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Reactivate PM Forum Feature?

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:Since the new anti-spam measures have been highly successful, would it be possible to re-activate the forum's Private Message option? I have been trying to send a fellow member a PM and it seems that the messages are not being sent out. I really miss this valuable forum feature!
Wotta ya think??
I never mentioned it, but I turned it back on a few weeks ago. Let me know if you have any trouble accessing it.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: PMing....

Post by wottaguy »

Jeff...

I did notice that it was turned on and I have attempted to send 2 PM's a few days ago with no indication of the message ever being sent out. Nothing appears in the "sent items" folder or in the outbox folder as well.

Also, before I posted This message, I did attempt to send a PM to you and get the same behavior as described above.

Did you get my PM?

Thanks!

Ron S (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: PMing....

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:Did you get my PM?
Nope. It appears that the spam defense measures may have caused a conflict that I have to look into. Thanks for the heads up.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: PMing....

Post by jeff »

I think private messaging may be working again. If you still run into a snag, please let me know.

Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

ok jeff...thanks...

Post by wottaguy »

Thanks jeff...i'll give it a try!

Just sent you a PM...It is not listed in the SENT Items folder, but I can see it in the Outbox folder. Are the PMs supposed to be sent right away, or are they scheduled to be sent at certain times?

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: ok jeff...thanks...

Post by jeff »

wottaguy wrote:Just sent you a PM...It is not listed in the SENT Items folder, but I can see it in the Outbox folder. Are the PMs supposed to be sent right away, or are they scheduled to be sent at certain times?
I believe they are considered sent when the recipient checks his inbox or when he views the message. I'm glad it's working, thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff