Keeping accurate and steady mash temps

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Keeping accurate and steady mash temps

Post by bfabre »

I have been using our gas cook top while standing over it and watching it closely. Another method I was informed of was on using the oven which would keep a more consistant temp. But, our oven does not go down to 150-153 degrees for a good mash temp. I need to dial this in. I have been instructed that my mash temps are too high. Any ideas?
Brian
"B"
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash Temp

Post by brewmeisterintng »

The best way I have found to maintain the mash temp is through the use of a cooler. I use one that is heavily insolated and compensate for the temp drop by adding my mash water @ about 170 degrees. I have cold water on standby just incase I over shoot my mash temp once the grains are mixed. Once I reach my mash temp... I simply close the cooler and wait my mash time. I have checked my post mash temps and have lost a degree or two max. You just have to ensure that the cooler you get is rated to maintain temps over an extended period. I think mine came from Walmart. I have added stainless screens (carburetor) for easy drain off (mash/ lauter tun). There are tons of ideas out there so one just has to do little research before choosing/ building.
slothrob

cooler

Post by slothrob »

I use a cooler as well, with an added stainless steel braid from a water supply line, a 1-hole stopper, and a nylon valve. No special cooler and it will keep within a couple degrees for an hour, depending on how full it is. There are a lot of ways to set one of these up, but it can be very easy, mine took me about 15 minutes and $35 to build (including $25 for the cooler).

I've also done the oven mash technique in a pot and the lowest marking on my oven control is 200
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

cooler, got a couple. one 5gal gott with ss braid, one 10gal with ss false bottom. Think I'm going to put in the braid in the 10gal. Like everyone else only drop 1-2 deg over the 60 min mash time.

jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

cooler

Post by bfabre »

Yes, I have seen some of these and they do look easy to make and I think that is the direction to go.
I am at the verge of expanding my technique and moving into all grain. Right now it is partial mash time. I have tried extract brewing for a couple of months then moved right into partial mash about a year and a half ago. It's OK but, I am looking for more and continually tring to improve my techniques and ability. Some say that all grain is easier but right now I just do not have all the equipment. "Working with what I got". My wife hates the hobby so things are going slower than I would like.
I recently found a local brew store that has sessions open to gain experience and to build techniques. I just have to register for a class. Trying to find time.
Please be patient with me when I ask the seamingly silly questions. Wow!! there is a lot of learn. With your help it will make things a lot easier with less mistakes.
"B"
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

make life easy for yourself and pick up How to Brew by John Palmer, or you can do a google search the first version is free to view online.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

Life is Easy. I have several brewing books. Three of which I use the most
The Brewer Companion - Randy Mosher
Brewing the Worlds Greatest Beers - Dave Miller
The Brewers Master Bible - Steven Snyder
All great reads and filled with lots of information. All I need help on from time to time is techniques and possible shortcuts from brewers with greter experience than I.
"B"