how can I control the terminal gravity?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

how can I control the terminal gravity?

Post by bfabre »

I brewed a porter that said, according to the "Beer Tools Pro" to be at 1.016 and the reading i got was 1.026. What can I do to control the readings to co-en-side to the receipe? Any assistance would help.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Final Gravity

Post by brewmeisterintng »

There are a lot of things that effect your final gravity. Software is designed to predict how much is going to ferment out based on your grains and yeast. If you mash at a higher temp you will have more non-fermentables in your wort. You could have a weak yeast that just peters out before it's time. You could have had a temp drop which sent your yeast into dormancy.
I have had some of these problems and now have consistant practices as well as I always have a yeast starter to ensure that there enough viable yeast ready to do their job. It is easier to eliminate the potential problem on the front side than try trouble shooting after the fact. Hope this helps .
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Final Gravity

Post by bfabre »

I mash between 158 and 160 degrees and am pretty consistant on the temp for fermentation.
The temp down in the basement only varies between 68-70 degrees.
It might just be the yeast?
I have not yet tried a yeast starter yet but, it just might be time to begin!!
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Temp may be High

As a rule I batch mash @ 153 degrees. The higher the mash temp the sweeter the beer. There will be more non-fermetnables that will make it into the wort and into the final beer. It's not a bad thing is you are looking for a nice sweet brown ale or stout but not so nice in an IPA. I don't bottle any more (kegging rocks) and am not so concerned about the final gravity. I know that providing the proper temperature and enough healthy yeast, I am guaranteed a full fermentation process. I always primary for one week and secondary for two. My primary is usually finished within the first 3-4 days but I let it sit the whole week... it's just easier that way.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

153 degrees might help. I seems we both have the same technique with the primary and the secondary.
Yes I have kegged a couple of times too. It does cut down time on the process. But as for now I do not have the any place to keep it cold. I need a regulator too. All I have is the hand held preasure inducer doodad. Thanks for the advice with the temps it makes sence.
Brian
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

Oh, one more thing. Under your name it lists you as a "Tripple" what does that mean? Also how do you get a picture pasted?
"B"
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Questions Answered

B,
The word "Triple" is a rank associated with the number of posts I have made over the years. The hop picture is a little pic that I placed in my profile when I set up my account. The picture has size limitations.
slothrob

Re: Final Gravity

Post by slothrob »

bfabre wrote:I mash between 158 and 160 degrees.
Not to downplay the benefit of a starter, but your mash temperature is your problem. Giving us rough idea of your recipe, your starting gravity, and the yeast that you're using can help us give you more specific advice.

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thanks Guys

Post by bfabre »

Thanks guys, I will adjust my temps accordingly.