Adding Hops During Grain Mash and Wort Boil

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

wamille

Adding Hops During Grain Mash and Wort Boil

Post by wamille »

I've heard good things about adding hops not only during the wort boil, but also during the mashing process itself. Has anyone had success doing this?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hops in the Mash

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I don't see where you would gain anything. You will loose some bittering in the mash and would still be doing a full boil therefore loosing any flavor or aroma that the specific hop variety may impart. It's just my two cents and I may be wrong.
slothrob

try FWH

Post by slothrob »

I haven't tried it, but I've read, from people that have, that it is relatively inefficient and doesn't add anything special.

Have you tried First Wort Hopping? This is adding hops to the first runnings and leaving them throughout the boil. This technique adds flavor, aroma, and a smooth bitterness, and is probably a more efficient use of hops if you want to experiment with alternate hopping techniques.. Many of us calculate the bitterness addition to that of a 20-30 minute addition, due to this smooth bitterness, even though the IBU contribution seems to be about equivalent to that of a 60 minute hop addition.

Alternately, try Hop-Bursting, where hops are all added at 30 minutes or later. The need to add more hops to hit your IBU target results in a strong hop flavor and aroma and a smooth bitterness.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
wamille

appreciate the replies

Post by wamille »

as a hop lover, i'll try anything to add flavor to my beer. the next brew i make will incorporate your suggestions. thanks. bill