How to add the sweet aftertaste to beer?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Ive made several Belgian tripels, but the one flavor characteristic that eludes me is how to add that sweet aftertaste. How is this done, and how is this controlled?
Manplant
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: How to add the sweet aftertaste to beer?

Post by wottaguy »

Hey there manplant!

This is actually a very good question and is one that all homebrewers will encounter sooner or later.

As we have no data about your recipe I will not try to guess what you did or what may have happened.

Usually a Belgium Triple will call for an amount of candi sugar or other readily fermentable sugar and it is added to the boil to boost alcohol production and also to give the perception of a dry finish.

What temps are you mashing at?

What you will probably have to do is to try to add an amount of complex unfermentable sugars to your wort that will remain in the beer as residual sugars. One way to do this is to raise the temperature of your mash to around 154 -156 degF. This should result in a slightly sweeter beer with a some what bigger body in the end. You can also cut back on the candi sugars as well.

A bit of experimentation will be needed on your part so be sure to document your recipe changes and findings for each batch you brew. Also just change one item at a time then review the finished beer results.

Another way is to select a yeast that does not attenuate as much as the one that you are currently using. But please do strive for a fully fermented wort as you don't want to leave any fermentable sugars behind.

I think I would start by brewing another batch with the exact same recipe that you used before...and raise the mash temp up 3 or 4 degrees and see if the result is closer to what you are looking for.

Hope this helps...and please let us know what happens!

Ron (_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Excellent advice right there. Keep good records, only change one thing at a time so you can pin point the changes, do too many things at once and you won't know which of the changes had the more desired result.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Ron,
I appreciate the follow up. Im mashing at ~158-160 currently. I have a recipie with a mixture of Belgian Pils, American 2 Row and just a pinch of Caramel malt. I currently use Candi as well as Honey in the fray. All of my Tripels a have finished at the targeted FG.

Im at the point where I have a beer that has the hop and spice structure of a Gouden Carolus, but im missing the very sweet aftertaste. Would adding dextrine malt increase the sweetness?
Manplant
slothrob

sweetness

Post by slothrob »

Dextrin won't increase the sweetness, but it will increase the body.

I would check the calibration of your thermometer if your beer is finishing too dry and you are mashing at 158-160
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: sweetness

Post by wottaguy »

manplant...if you are hitting your mash temps of 158\160, that should be plenty to give you a sweet beer. You may want to recalibrate your thermometers just to make sure.

slothrob's suggestion of adding a portion of crystal is a good one too and would boost the perception of sweetness. (thanks slothrob)!

You really must have some kind of sweet tooth tho... :lol:

If you are indeed hitting the milestones that you say, the beer should already be very sweet to taste. Let's see the recipe!

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Provided is the recipe. Not much Caramel here. Cant go too high, or the color will go dark on me.

Category Belgian Strong Ale
Subcategory Belgian Tripel
Recipe Type All Grain
Batch Size 5.5 gal.
Volume Boiled 4.75 gal.
Mash Efficiency 68 %
Total Grain/Extract 17.98 lbs.
Total Hops 3.4 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 334.7
Cost to Brew $38.67 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $0.66 (USD)

12.0 lbs. Belgian Pils info
2.0 lbs. American 2-row info
0.2 lbs. American Caramel 10
Manplant
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: sweetness...

Post by wottaguy »

Hi manplant...

Thanks for posting the recipe. I think that I would cut the honey amount in half and change the yeast to a Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes strain which attenuates slightly less than the yeast that you're currently using. And pitch it into the wort on the cool side...then let it slowly warm up to 69 to 72 degF towards the end.

If you try this, would you please keep us all informed as to your results?

Thanks man...good luck!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
slothrob

thermometer

Post by slothrob »

...and check your thermometer!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

How to settle and remove debris while keg conditioning?

Post by manplant »

It will be mid jan before I get to brew this again. My inventories are high. Just made a Pale Ale to be in the keg 1/1/08, and Im brewing a Corona clone for the morons down the street for new years. Im not going to put much love into this one.

I do appreciate the info. I was acutally checking out the Ardennes yeast the other day saying what if? If I cut the Honey, I will need to up the grain to keep the alcohol @ 9% right?
Manplant
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: How to settle....

Post by wottaguy »

Hi manplant....

Thats right...just make up the difference and add enough additional Belgian Pils to make up the difference. ( i meant to ask... why did you add the american 2 row? was it just to use it up?)

Please let me know about your results the next time around as I do track such things... :)

Thanks!
Ron S (_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

I added the 2 Row because its cheap. At the end of the day, Im finding that a good triple is mostly defined by hop and spice character. The grains cerytainly influence, but Imported grains are getting high.

I appreciate your help. Ill keep the resuls posted next month.
Manplant
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

If I wanted to sub Cane sugar for Candi sugar, what would be the limit before cidery off flavors resulted?
Manplant
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: How to add the sweet aftertaste to beer?

Post by wottaguy »

manplant,

I have heard that it is ok to use up to a total of 10% of your fermentables. I don't use all that much myself and usually try to add around 5% or less. Of course you will have to adjust the amount of base malt you use to still hit your target gravity correctly.

Hope this helps!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common