Hop Shortage

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Hop Shortage

Post by jawbox »

Anyone else having problems getting hops right now??
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Hop Shortage

Post by billvelek »

jawbox wrote:Anyone else having problems getting hops right now??
I buy all mine through my LHBS. He put in a bulk order for me about a month ago when I tried to get a pound of Galena (he couldn't get it) and a pound of Chinook (he DID get that). I picked it up about two weeks ago, and haven't had a chance to try to get any more hops since then.

There are a LOT of homebrewers suddently interested in growing their own hops now. There have been 68 new members join my 'Grow-Hops' group in just the past week. If interested, visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Thanks for the link Bill. I'm already growing hops just didn't have the time to dry them out this year (Cascade, Centennial, Fuggle).
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

We'd love to have you join us.

Post by billvelek »

jawbox wrote:Thanks for the link Bill. I'm already growing hops just didn't have the time to dry them out this year (Cascade, Centennial, Fuggle).
Nooooooo. You didn't let them go to waste, did you? :cry:

If nothing else, I'll bet wet hops (undried) could be frozen for at least short-time use for 'wet hopping'. Anyway, although we've gathered a good number of experienced growers, we have a LOT of newbies joining right now and could certainly use a little friendly help from as many experienced growers as we can find ... so I hope you'll join us: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grow-Hops

We've now had 86 new members join us in just the past week, bringing our total membership to 495 ... and my group is just barely over six months old. Very exciting to see the enthusiasm there, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how well my hops do in their second year (2008).

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Mine are like weeds 3rd year going to split them next year. Always having to cut back bines, cascade and centennial do great not so much with the fuggles.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

signed up
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5