How to settle and remove debris while keg conditioning?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

How to settle and remove debris while keg conditioning?

Post by manplant »

I got in a hurry and racked my belgian ale from the primary after 16 days to the keg, by passing the secondary. Definitely noticed some loss of clarity by doing so.

Even though I strain my wort to remove the hop debris, how long will it take these and other particles to settle out at 35 degrees?

How long will I need to keg condition?

Is there a better way to remove this debris?

Will going to a larger conical allow me to secondary with no racking by draining the trub and letting sit for 2-3 more weeks?

I appreciate all help.
Manplant
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Questions Answered

Post by brewmeisterintng »

One of the common mistakes of new brewers is trying to rush the process or cutting out steps like secondarys. Anytime your do this, expect less than desirable results.
When kegging/ force carbonating expect to wait four days for the beer to absorbe the CO2. I have noticed that it will continue to clear as you drink it. It took my Firehouse Amber about 1 month to be crystal clear without fancy filters.
I have no experience with conicals. The theory is good but I am comfortable with my carboys.
There is a lot to be said about yeast starters. The vials and smack packs just don't have enough hungry cells to give you a good fermantation; the end results may be a higher the expected FG as well as cloudyness.
When home brewing, planning and waiting for the finish are a must. Keep brewing... it only gets better. :lol:
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

The time it takes for the yeast to settle will be very dependent on strain. Unfortunately, I don't use Belgian yeasts, so I have no real info. Many British yeast will settle out in a couple days, American Ale yeast, Lager yeast and K
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
HubBrew

Yeast strains

Post by HubBrew »

Are you talking haze or debris? If this a Belgian ale with a decent wheat profile it may be a hazy beer. The yeast flocculation should be available from the supplier if that is the cause. Last time I checked most Belgian strains were mid to low flocculation though. The temp crash will help clarify the beer a bit. As far as conicals go, they really don't help clarify the beer but they do let you drain the crap off so you have less of a chance of developing off-flavors without transferring the beer. I do run a filter with perlite in my brew house, but I still do my home brews in carboys and transfer off the sediment at least once after the secondary. As Brewmeisterintng said, rushing can be a bad thing in brewing. I know the quickest beer I ever turn with force carbonation is 12 days.