Priming Sugar for a Blond Belgian - The Correct Amount?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Michael Kazeuma
Light Lager
Light Lager

Priming Sugar for a Blond Belgian - The Correct Amount?

Post by Michael Kazeuma »

Hi,

Wondered if anyone could weigh in on a descrepancy I've noticed between Brewferm recommended priming sugar and the priming calculator at Tastybrew.com.

The kit company Brewferm recommends 90g of whitesugar for a 9 litre batch of their Belgian Triple BlondAbbey. They also note that if candy or raw cane are used that the weight should be increased by 5%. The directions and translation are pretty lousy, but I don't understand why they would recommend TWICE the amount recommended by TastyBrew.com calculator which recommends 90g for 17 litres(4.49 gallons).

Data:

Brewferm Triple All Extract
OG - 1.070
FG - 1.018 (as of today)
WYeast - Euro Ale 1338
Temps - 22C
Presently in conditioning phase 10 days after primary.

Any thoughts on the right amount of priming sugar?

Thanks,

Michael
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Priming Sugar

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I jsut reviewed the recipe provided by Brewferm. I don't mean to bash the steps outlined however, in simple terms: add contents of can to fermentor, and warm water, sugar and yeast; ferment. Where is the boil? Second, I have never seen a beer with an OG of 70 drop to 10 at completion. To answer your question though, I would prime with the 90 grams as recommended on Tastybrew. If you used cane sugar in your brew expect that there will be cider/ off flavors. Dry or liquid malt would be a better choice in the future to add fermetables.
Just food for thought and my two cents.
Michael Kazeuma
Light Lager
Light Lager

Brewferm Should be Bashed for those Directions

James, Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Yes I agree that bashing is not the way to go, however the instructions that Brewferm provides should be criticized. They are an obsolute joke and the translation makes them even worse. They also creat the impression that their packet of yeast is going to take you from 1.075 to 1.010. Anyway, I have not tried their beer yet and don't expect it will be bad, because I ignored their directions from the start, however the descrepancy in priming sugar did have me a bit concerned! I wonder what would happen if I primed at 180 grams and put into 'strong bottles' as recommended in the instructions?

Cheers!

Michael
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bottle Bombs

Post by brewmeisterintng »

That is what you get when a beer hasn't completely fermented out and you give it a full load of priming sugar and bottle it. You only have to experience this once to learn your lesson. Back in my bottling days I only ever used 1/2 cup of priming sugar otherwise I was experiencing excessive foaming from over carbonation or worse. This area my friend is one of those that more is not better.
Michael Kazeuma
Light Lager
Light Lager

Less is Better

Yes James,

I don't think I really want to experience the Bottle Bombs, but atleast they will be under the house, so if they go, they don't go all over the inside of the house!

Thanks for the comments,

Michael