[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Brewing salts - to add or not to add ?

Brewing salts - to add or not to add ?

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Brewing salts - to add or not to add ?

Postby kabbo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:42 pm

kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby brewer13210 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:21 am

brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

haze

Postby slothrob » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:36 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby kabbo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:41 am

kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby slothrob » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:55 pm

CaCl can go into the mash water. CaCO3 often needs to go into the mash to dissolve. My mash conditions never need Gypsum, so I've never added it to the Mash nor the water that goes into the mash. When I add Gypsum for an IPA, It goes in the boil kettle, because It's for flavor, not mash conditions.

Adding sufficient Ca, controlling mash pH to minimize tannin extractions, using Whirlflock in the last 5 minutes of the boil, and getting a good chill are the best ways to reduce chill haze, I think. If you want, you can make a clear wheat beer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby kabbo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks,

I'm using Irish Moss. Is WhirlFlock more efficient ?

I usually chill in 25 minutes to room temp.
I'll be doing 10 gal eventually but with 50ft copper coil instead of 25ft like my past batches, should I go with a plate chiller or something ?

Also, is there any filter or strainer I could use to transfer between the kettle and the fermenter ? I'll be using a converted 50l SS keg with a ball valve, and I'd prefer racking in a closed environment than using a standard racking cane from the top, since contamination is critical at this point.

Thank you,
Jonathan
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby slothrob » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:34 pm

I've heard tell that whirlflock is more efficient, but I've never seen any hard evidence. With Irish Moss, it can help to rehydrate well ahead of time. Start the rehydration when you first set up for the day so it gets a few hours.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby kabbo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Rehydrate ?

You mean the Irish Moss ?

I used to put 1 teaspoon in the brewpot 10 minutes before boilout...

Any idea for racking from the keg ?
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby slothrob » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:42 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby kabbo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:40 am

kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

transfer