Calibration Survey

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Calibration Survey

Post by lathe »

We like to periodically check in on how or math is performing.

We are working on the equipment side of things right now...specifically the accuracy of calibrated equipment calculations; do they seem to line up with real results?
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by dasein668 »

I actually was just about to post a question about calibration... Should the calibration be done with JUST water? I ask because I calibrated my aluminum pot that I use for step mashing and while I was able to hit my strike temperature within one degree on my first "calibrated" brew, the predicted temperature loss during the various rests (from my schedule) was waaaay off of actual.

Beertools indicated I'd likely see drops of about 8 degrees during each 30 minute rest, but my actual drops were closer to 1.5 degrees, presumably due to the change in thermal mass caused by all that grain.

At any rate, hitting my strike temp is the most important, and that worked fine, but I was curious...
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by warthog »

my calibration is close, but not quite right. my 5 gallon rubbermade mash/lauter holds heat better than predicted. i will send you my setup files zipped.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by FrugalBrewer »

I have yet to run a calibration on my current equipment set-up (when I used BTP in the past I had a cooler mash tun and now I have a keg tun), and maybe I am missing something, or the fields clear but, I would think that if a piece of equipment is going to be included as "pre-loaded" then it would atleast have the calibration variables preset too.

Example;

In equipment for the pre-loaded keggle boiler NONE of the variables are set. Not even the volume.
mmmooretx
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mmmooretx »

I just spent 1 Mar. Sunday, about half a day, doing the calibration runs on all three of my vessels (all three are heated). They are heated by 165,000 btu high pressure propane burners with pressure at 15 psi. Gathering the data is not hard and I hope all goes well.
I do have a question on calibration of the Mash Tun (MT). When I am doing an actual production run I do plan on turning down the gas valve to the MT burner (I am running Asco valves with Love controllers and have a pilot light) to about 1/4 gas valve setting as full bore will heat 5 gallons of water 18 degrees in 2.5 minutes and I want a lighter touch than that since I am doing constant recirculation within the MT. So my question is should I do my MT calibraion run for heat gain at my expected production run setting or wide open? Should there be two settings?
Thank you for any insight or help!
Mike Moore
N5RWH