BeerTools Pro Bug Reports Archive C

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Possible bug -- or at least I'm confused.

Post by billvelek »

I decided to start approaching this new version as a completely new user, and to read the 'User Guide' first while going through the program.

One of the first things the Guide says is: "By default a new recipe window will open." [Let me digress a minute to repeat a complaint that I had all along with BTP -- that there appears to be no way to highlight text in the User Guide for the purpose of copying to the clipboard; this means that I have to re-type the text for purposes of discussion, which is a pain in the rear.]

Anyway, when I start BTP1.1, a "new recipe" does not open -- at least not a complete blank -- see http://home.alltel.net/billvelek/btp1-1.html for screen shots. After setting ALL fields to zero/blank, I have even tried fixing it, after blanking everything out, by using "Save", "Save As", "Save as Template", and "Save as Default" -- I did _ALL_ of the above using the name "Blank-3". I then exited BTP and restarted but still get the extraneous info shown in the first screen shots.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

The Database Cannot Be Edited Anymore

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:I'm also unable to add to the ingredients database. Also, once you are viewing the grains database you are unable to open a grain to adjust variables, I usually buy a whole sack of base malt and like to update the file to my lot analysis sheet that comes with the grain.
If you want to edit your own ingredients, add them to inventory and edit them there. The purpose of inventory is to manage personal ingredients as well as their amounts in stock. Locking the preset ingredient library allows us (BeerTools.com) to update the presets without overwriting personal edits.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I have some items in the inventory even though I haven't dragged anything over. Looks like some of the items I added to my old ingredients databases in 1.0.28 (yeast, blueberry extract etc.). Not sure how they got into inventory on 1.1
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:I have some items in the inventory even though I haven't dragged anything over. Looks like some of the items I added to my old ingredients databases in 1.0.28 (yeast, blueberry extract etc.). Not sure how they got into inventory on 1.1
If you added any personal ingredients in the previous version of BTP, or edited any of the preset ingredients; these were moved to your personal inventory when BTP 1.1 started up for the first time. We tried not to lose any of your data in the transition.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

dbl click to add ingredients to the recipe would be very nice and much faster than dragging and dropping, apple-click.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

two places for grain seems like a pita (i'm really don't track inventory). Isn't there anyway to have btp know that it was a ingredient added/adjusted by the user and only update everything else? I can't say that anything ever got overwritten in the previous versions.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Bill,
I had the same default info when I first opened the program, set for a 5gal beer with evap and other values prefilled in.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Possible bug -- or at least I'm confused.

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:I decided to start approaching this new version as a completely new user, and to read the 'User Guide' first while going through the program.
The user guide is not part of this evaluation. It has not been updated for 1.1.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Possible bug -- or at least I'm confused.

Post by billvelek »

jeff wrote:The user guide is not part of this evaluation. It has not been updated for 1.1.
I realized that as I prepared a new thread -- but posted it anyway since it covers at least the first change that is needed. I understand, and thanks.

Jeff/Lathe, I'd still like for you to look at the screen shots I linked to -- http://home.alltel.net/billvelek/btp1-1.html -- because it still looks like a problem to me.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

jawbox wrote:two places for grain seems like a pita (i'm really don't track inventory).
If you don't track inventory, leave the quantity column blank.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I was just unable to add whirlfoc to a recipe. Restarted BTP 1.1 needed to re-register, then opened up the recipe to find about 12 additions of whirlfloc. One off, was able to add it now. Although having to ctrl-click to delete 12 additions was a pain. Delete key would have been nice here.

Now I see you can add new grain by ctrl-clicking in the ingredients box
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Inventory values are not debited when used in a recipe

Post by billvelek »

Since there is no User Guide to confirm how this is supposed to work, I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not. When I drag and drop an ingredient from my inventory, and then set the amount in my recipe, the value in the inventory does not decrease. I thought maybe it is a 'refresh' problem, but no matter what I do I can't see a decrease in inventory. Obviously, automatically decrementing the inventory as supplies are used is going to be fundamental to making it useful -- at least in my opinion.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Inventory values are not debited when used in a recipe

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:Since there is no User Guide to confirm how this is supposed to work, I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not. When I drag and drop an ingredient from my inventory, and then set the amount in my recipe, the value in the inventory does not decrease. I thought maybe it is a 'refresh' problem, but no matter what I do I can't see a decrease in inventory. Obviously, automatically decrementing the inventory as supplies are used is going to be fundamental to making it useful -- at least in my opinion.
When you are ready to brew your recipe, use Recipe->Shopping List/Inventory to deduct the recipe from inventory. If inventory is deducted only when adding an ingredient to a recipe then it wouldn't be very easy to deduct the recipe from inventory a second time when you brew it again.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

Wort Boil Duration is set to hours. I don't see any way to set it to minutes. When I try to manually change it to "80 min," I get a message that the number has to be less than 24.

When you choose "deduct from inventory" and then go and revise the recipe and choose "deduct from inventory" again, the ingredients you already deducted are deducted again.

I can't find a way to program in volume losses for hops in the boil.

I'm still finding my way around, and I can't figure out how to do half the things I want to do, but that's my problem. 8)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

control click on the cell and you can change it to mins etc.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)