Hiding/removing database entries

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
fivemilepoint

Hiding/removing database entries

Post by fivemilepoint »

I searched the forum for this and did not see anything so here is my suggestion. I hate to have to sort thru the list of ingredients when the vast majority of them are not in my inventory. An option to only show user entered ingredients or a only those in stock would make my recipe creation a whole lot simpler.

If I could delete database entries I might do that but a boolean database field that would indicate 'in stock' along with a viewer option to hide any entries not identified in this fashion would be a great feature without too much work.

Thanks and best regards.

Rick
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Inventory Feature

Post by billvelek »

Welcome to our group, Rick ('fivemilepoint'). I'm pretty sure an inventory feature was virtually promised some time back, and I suspect that it might be included in the upcoming major upgrade. If so, I would imagine, to make it useful, that it will have some sort of a feature along the lines of your suggestion -- which has actually been made before -- perhaps with a separate 'Inventory' button right up there next to the 'Browse' and 'New' buttons. At least I hope so.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
fivemilepoint

Post by fivemilepoint »

I would assume that an inventory feature would update inventory when a recipe was brewed - a much more difficult chore than a simple method to filter out what is in stock in the Ingredient browser.

I'd be happy if I could just delete entries that I don't care to see.

Best regards.

Rick
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

More re inventory feature

Post by billvelek »

Jeff and Lathe have put together a fabulous program, and based on their thoroughness and the considerable feedback that they've received, I would expect that any inventory feature that they come up with will be very complete and robust, and that the program WILL automatically debit inventory whenever anything is selected for a recipe. Now, they might well have to have a 'brewed' button to distinguish from 'planned' recipes that never get brewed versus those that actually are and consequently use inventory, but I trust all of that will be worked out. I'm like a kid right before Christmas; I'm REALLY anxious for the big upgrade. :-)

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Limit inventory with "Find" field

Post by slothrob »

One thing I've learned to do is to avoid scrolling the Grains list and use the "Find" field. Start typing in "CRY" and the list becomes much shorter, limited to just the Crystal Malts. Saves me a lot of time and annoyance scanning the long grain list.

It's not really what you're looking for, but it's a decent stop-gap until the Inventory function is implemented. I can still see a usefulness to editing the lists, though. It needs to have 32 kinds of Munich malt to fit everyone's needs, but 6 or 8 would cover everything I buy.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
fivemilepoint

Re: Limit inventory with "Find" field

Post by fivemilepoint »

slothrob wrote:One thing I've learned to do is to avoid scrolling the Grains list and use the "Find" field. Start typing in "CRY" and the list becomes much shorter, limited to just the Crystal Malts. Saves me a lot of time and annoyance scanning the long grain list.

It's not really what you're looking for, but it's a decent stop-gap until the Inventory function is implemented. I can still see a usefulness to editing the lists, though. It needs to have 32 kinds of Munich malt to fit everyone's needs, but 6 or 8 would cover everything I buy.
I use this feature but there are still too many grains for my liking - certainly it works well for hops. I also tried prefixing a '*' to my available grains but gave it up and am back to where I started. Guess I will just have to wait.

Thanks

Rick