Which books would be best to supplement BTP?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Which books would be best to supplement BTP?

Post by billvelek »

I realize BeerTools.com has loads of recipes. I haven't used any because it seems tedious to search for one and then never really know if it will truly be a really good recipe rather than just something thrown together by an average homebrewer -- like what I do. I have considered getting one or more books, and have some interest in the 'cloning' books, but have read that they are actually not very accurate, and that they very often use grain bills, hops, and mash schedules that are at odds with what is known (or commonly believed) to be the actual ingredients/schedule for the target brews. I am therefore wondering about 'Designing Great Beers'. Is anyone here familiar with that book, and would it be a good way to supplement BTP software? I know the easy answer is no doubt "Yes", but in what way? What I'm looking for is something along the lines that will tell me that for "this" beer or beer-style, I should use "this" type of hops, and "that" yeast, etc. Any info that will help be better appreciate "why" certain ingredients are used for a particular style would be great, too. If there are any other book recommendations, that will be appreciated, too.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

books

Post by slothrob »

I have the first cloning book and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone that's graduated to making their own recipes. A lot of the recipes seem like they're made with substantial guesswork, appropriate malts and hops to fit the style, and malt selections designed to hit color, more than anything else. For someone that has no clue how to generate a recipe and wants to try to make some beers like those they already know they like, it has it's place.

Designing Great Beers is starting to get a bit dated, but it's great for learning what ingredients can make a recipe that will fit within a style. I use it as a launching pad for those times when I think I'd like to make, say, a Maibock, but don't know where to start. It's not a recipe book, but a guide to what ingredients have been used in award winning beers of each style. This seems to be what you're looking for. You'll get information like "60% of winning beers in style X use 10-15% Y malt and A, B, or C hops for bittering and aroma additions only."

I haven't seem Jamil Z and J Palmer's new Style-Specific recipe book, but Jamil's recipes are generally good examples of a specific style (see Beerdujour.com). I often use his recipes as a starting point for my first attempt at a new style.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks.

Post by billvelek »

Thanks, slothrob. That is a big help, and I especially appreciate the link to Jamil's recipes. SUPER!!! I was already pretty much leaning towards the "Designing Great Beers", so if there is no books more recently published along those lines, then I guess that's what I'll get.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Designing great beers

Post by slothrob »

I think I've read that there's supposed to be a new edition of Designing Great Beers in the works, but I don't know how accurate that is or when to expect it.

In a lot of ways, the book is like an expanded version of the BJCP guidelines, but with more specifics about style specific hop and malt choices popular with commercial and home brewers.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

You can preorder Jamils book at the brewing network website. I'd also recommend Designing great beers.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Push Eject »

I agree with everyone. Additionally, it's kind of obvious, but no brewer should be without "How to Brew" by Palmer IMHO

Push E.
500mhz G3 iBook 384mg 10.3.9
2x1ghz G4 1g 10.4.10
2x2ghz G5 2g 10.4.10