Gluten free

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

hjherbenson

Gluten free

Post by hjherbenson »

Has anyone come up with a good Gluten free recipe?
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Not sure what you mean by good. Are you just looking for recipes, or have you tried some and didn't like them? If you're looking for info there was an article in the March '07 BYO. The article also has a couple of recipes for gluten free beer. I haven't made them so I can't comment on how good/bad they are.
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Good article. I don't know, but if I was limited to brewing only with corn, rice, sorghum, buckwheat, millet or quinoa, I would seriously consider switching to wine.

Anyone ever tasted any of the commercial examples?

Todd
brewer13210
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by brewer13210 »

Thinking about that a little more, how much gluten is too much gluten? For example, I'd think that highly roasted/kilned malts (roasted barley, dark chocolate malt, etc), which are kilned at 350+ deg F, would denature just about any proteins in the kernel. It would certainly allow a little more creativity in brewing beers like this.

I've googled around, but I couldn't find anything on the gluten content of roasted malts.

Todd
hjherbenson

Post by hjherbenson »

Well I certainly do not want a Bad recipe... :lol: I have tried Redbridge made by Bush, used sorgum, tasty beer. I have not made any myself but have a few up here that are interested in making some. So I would like to get a few recipes and twist them around a litle to see if I can come up with something I like. If someone has a copy of that 07' article I would really appreciate it if you could copy and email it to me.
Thanks for all the replies :D
John[/i]
hjherbenson

Post by hjherbenson »

A freind just sent me this link.
http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/gf/
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

hjherbenson wrote:...If someone has a copy of that 07' article I would really appreciate it if you could copy and email it to me.
Thanks for all the replies :D
John[/i]
John, if you're referring to the article I mentioned in my post above jut click on the word "article". The reason that text is red is because it's a link.