New Computer Install

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
slothrob

New Computer Install

Post by slothrob »

I just installed BTP on a new computer by downloading another copy, requesting a new key, and re-registering. When I tried to use the version installed on the old computer I had to also re-register that copy with the new key.

I probably don't need a copy in each place, but it might prove conveinient, so I would prefer to keep both. If I try to do this will I have problems when I try to upgrade both copies to a new edition?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: New Computer Install

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:I just installed BTP on a new computer by downloading another copy, requesting a new key, and re-registering. When I tried to use the version installed on the old computer I had to also re-register that copy with the new key.

I probably don't need a copy in each place, but it might prove conveinient, so I would prefer to keep both. If I try to do this will I have problems when I try to upgrade both copies to a new edition?
When a new key is requested, the old one is deactivated. This means that both installs will have to use the same key when a new one is requested.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Thanks. So now that both computers are registerred, when I download an update I'll download it twice, but will be updating registerred copies, so the update should be seamless.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

No need to download twice. Download once, copy to your backup disk, and install from the copy. Works smoothly.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Thanks, CJ. So just duplicating the BTP folder by dragging a copy over my home network will work, without the install disk image which self destructs after the install?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by just-cj »

That should work, but the disk image should also be in your trash after you install. Just drag it out and you'll be fine. Either that or copy it over to your backup or network before you first install and the copy shouldn't be touched.
lucas
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by lucas »

I gather from this post that the developers do not mind if a single user has the software installed on multiple pcs?

I have a mac laptop but linux/windows desktops. i bought the mac btp because it will be most useful on the laptop but it would be great if i could also use it on my desktop. are the keys platform specific?
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Multiple machines...

Post by lathe »

lucas wrote:...are the keys platform specific?
The EULA allows for BTP to be installed on another machine provided that BTP isnt used by other brewers. This is for convenience because many BTP users will take their laptop into the shop with them to brew...etc.

The keys are platform specific. So this would require the computers involved to be running the same OS.

Thanks,
Lathe
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff