mash process???

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

mash process???

Post by bredmakr »

Ok, I tried a partial mash again last night and my mash efficiency is far from efficient. Can anyone recommend a good book that goes over mashing in detail? I REALLY want to get this down and get into all grain brewing but it just seems to be really difficult. What are the most common mistakes made by brewers who are trying to breach the gap from extact to partial mash to all grain?
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

The Brew Masters Bible

Post by lathe »

I found a pretty good coverage of that topic in the "Brew Masters Bible" by Stephen Snyder. Pages 14 and 15 cover "Partial Mash Ale Brewing" and pages 16 and 17 discuss "Partial Mash Lager Brewing". I saw that book in the books section of this site. You might also want to try doing a keyword search in this BB. Maybe we can get maultvault in on this too.
Dane

The sparge

Post by Dane »

I also had bad efficiency in my first few attempts
at (full) mashing. Turned out to be the sparge,
i.e. not getting all the sugar out of the grains.
Drain it slowly, use nice hot water to sparge
with.
To double-check conversion is complete, a drop of iodine
in a sample of the wort should NOT turn black.
maxyoung

Books

Post by maxyoung »

Other than Papagian's book I'd strongly recommend Noonan"s "Brewing Lager Beer". The mashing steps of doughin, acidification, prtein rest, mashout and sparging are well explained. You CAN"T read too much about brewing. Max Young