Bottling

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Steven

Bottling

Post by Steven »

I read someplace about putting your bottles in a dishwasher before bottling, but I forgot the basics. Do I still have to sanitize after, what cycle, and any other info would be very helpful.
I would like to bottle in a 2L growler (Grolsch type top), do I need to do anything different then with a regular 12 oz capped bottle?
slothrob

sanitize in dishwasher

Post by slothrob »

This is a real effort saver.

Put your cleaned bottles in the dishwasher, without soap and especially without "rinse aid".
Wash on "Sanitize" if you have it, otherwise on Heaed Wash and Heated Dry (that's what I have).
When they're done, you're ready to bottle.

On my dishwaser, it goes from the hot wash to a cold rinse, so I manually skip over that rinse so I don't add any bugs from the tap water, but it may not be crucial, with the hot dry step at the end.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
londonaftermi26

bottles

Post by londonaftermi26 »

i so far my bottles always go in the dishwasher, before i bottle, on a high heat setting, then i use no rinse sanitizer afterwards , and have had no issues yet :)
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

The procedure I posted allows you to skip the sanitizer.

The dishwasher isn't very good at washing bottles, as the spray doesn't get inside very well, but it does a great job of sanitizing the bottles. I've used this technique to sanitize all but 1 batch, that one was sterilized in the oven, which is another good technique.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

I just used one step on my bottles. That worked well.