Tap - A - Draft

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Tap - A - Draft

Post by HardcoreLegend »

I am moderately interseted in the Tap-A-Draft home mini kegging system. But, I am curious to find out what you all think of bottling into plastic vessels (3 liter PET bottles). It seems that you would bottle the beer from your secondary right into plastic. Has anyone used this? It seems intriguing for such a small investment. Thanks!
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Corny Keg

Post by KBrau »

I don't think bottling in plastic is a bad thing although over time it is more likely to harbor bacteria than glass or stainless. To be honest I think you will find it is a better investment to buy a used Corny Keg and CO2 tank.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I have one, but...

Post by dartedplus »

i got one of the tap a draft systems, but unfortuneately, I cant tell you how it works as I have yet to use the beer that is in it. Its a holiday brew that is...well...waiting for the holidays. I have the 6L size, so I am waiting for either thanksgiving or Xmas to use it. I put half of my batch in the container and bottled the rest. It came out quite good but some aging wont hurt it any. I think I will be able to wait until the holidays to open it. I think I might get another one of the containers and make a small batch of something light like a pale ale so that I can try it out without having to wait tooo long.
So right now it is just sitting on the shelf. I know this doesnt help much, but it seems like a good system to me
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Plastic vs Corny

Post by Team Beer »

I have used Corny Kegs for a couple of years now and really think they are worth the $$$. Personally I would worry about carbonating. At least with the Corny's its easier to keep your keg at a constant pressure and a more consistant result.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I can see your point, but...

Post by dartedplus »

I know it is probably a better investment in the long rin to go with the corny kegs, but not all of us have a place to put the kegs once they are filled so that they can be kept cold. The tap a draft(tad) bottles can be put in the fridge and only take up as much space as about 2 6-packs. As for the carbonation, you can force carbonate it as well as let it age on its own. And in the latter, you would then add the CO2 when you are ready to dispense your brew. So I think for some people the tad is a better way to go, as os the case with me. I would love to start kegging, but just dont have an extra fridge to put it in. Some day!