Strong Scotch Ale

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Strong Scotch Ale

Post by HardcoreLegend »

I bottled my first batch of Strong Scotch Ale this weekend. The alcohol content is about 6.5%. How long should it be bottle conditioned for best results. I tasted a pint the day of bottling. Nice flavor, but a bit of a sharp alcohol bite to it. I am storing tthe bottles in the basement at approx. 64 degrees in the dark. What does everyone think?
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

It's ruined -- send it to me.

Post by Push Eject »

Nice work.
I tend to let my wee heavys (like Old Fart Knocker -- here in database) sit for at least three months before seriously tearing into them. They seem best after six months. No improvement after one year (although few make it that long).
Just open one once a month and see what you think.
Cheers!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No,No, send to me

Post by Freon12 »

I can fix it with a special filter I call the bladder. High abv can be stored for a while and beer is always changing flavors and not always for the best. I age a Imperial stout for 6months at 70f if that helps.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Agreed!!

Post by andytv »

I agree, do what you can to keep your hands off of the batch for at least a month. As a rule, we always try to condition at least one month. I brewed a honey porter once that tasted like hell after a week, but really mellowed into a great beer after two months. Please consider doing what we say, not as I do.....I'm sipping a Belgian Trippel right now (7.5%) thats only two weeks old.

Andy