Maple syrup revisited

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

yooper
Light Lager
Light Lager

Maple syrup revisited

Post by yooper »

I've touched on this issue a while back but thought about something I was told by the owner of the brew shop is was frequenting. I have some issues with using maple syrup. I have an abundance of the stuff here because I boil every spring. I was told to add it after the boil but when the wort is still hot just to make sure any bad critters get killed. He said don't boil it. I've seen some recipes and they all say to add to the boil. Does anyone out there have any experience with this and is there any advice I should heed.
Thanks
Da yooper
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Syrup

Post by Team Beer »

I do know of a microbrewery around here that actually adds maple syrup to its brown ale in secondary without issues. However I might recommend this procedure if you pasteurize the syrup before adding.
Save The Ales

Stopped using it

Post by Save The Ales »

I was putting maple syrup in my Extract brews 15 minutes to go in the boil. No problems w/taste, etc. What I did find was that it would give me a headache - switched out the syrup for brown sugar and the problem was gone. This, by the way, was done by consuming similar quantities.

Paul
A bad homebrew is better than anything store bought
Swany

Post by Swany »

I have yet to use maple syrup in a recipe. From what I have read and heard, adding maple syrup to the boil tends to add a woodsy flavor rather than a maple flavor to the beer. A good friend of mine (an accomplished home brewer) primed a porter at bottling with maple syrup and it was outstanding. I looked up the description for maple syrup in the recipe generator and it confirms the above. It says when added to the boil maple syrup may lend a woodsy flavor, when used for priming lends a sweet character. Whatever you do, pasturizing the syrup should be sufficient. Hope this helps.

Swany