Fermentation Temperature

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

fordstephen

Fermentation Temperature

Post by fordstephen »

I brewed an Ale on Sunday and now have it sitting in my Primary fermenter and am wondering where I should store it. In the winter time my house tends to fluctuate in temperature, the upstairs is about 71-74 and the downstairs is about 66-69. Where would be the best place to keep the primary and secondary fermenter? First or Second floor?
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Downstairs

Post by billvelek »

I think 65F is about the ideal temp for fermenting ales, if you have that temp available. The closer you get to the mid-seventies, the worse you are, although I make fine beer at about 70F. Also remember that during a good active fermentation, your wort could reach a couple of degrees higher than ambient temperature due to the little devils 'partying'. So you ought to use the downstairs, definitely. Temp is more crucial during primary when esters can form at higher temps; as far as I know, temp doesn't matter with secondary, so I'd just put it wherever it is easiet after racking. Unless you like carrying a carboy upstairs, I'd just rack downstairs and keep it downstairs.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

For most ale yeast, the mid-60's is about ideal. A couple degrees cooler will tend to give you a cleaner tasting beer and a couple degrees warmer will tend to give you more esters (usually described as fruity flavors).

High 70's can cause problems, like fusil alchohols and unpleasantly high ester production, but low 70's probably won't ruin most ales.

Edit: looks like Bill types faster than I do.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
fordstephen

Post by fordstephen »

Well that settles it I will move it downstairs.
Chief
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Chief »

On the subject of Temps...I am making (o attempting to make) a San Francisco Steam...about what Temp should I have that sit at? The main reason to ask that, I live in Japan (Navy) and it is hard to adjust my temp....
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Chief, since it's a steam beer, or California Common, I'd assume you're using San Francisco Lager WLP810. White Labs says the optimum range is 58-65*F for this yeast. You should try to pick a temp within that range that you can hold with as little fluctuation as possible . I generally ferment my California Commons ~61-62*F. Here's the description from White Labs' web page:

WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast
This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65
fordstephen

Post by fordstephen »

How about storage temps for bottled beer?
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Room temp is okay

Post by billvelek »

Cellar temp is probably better, but I don't have a cellar so I don't have any choice. I just store my bottled beer on shelves at room temp and then put them in the refrigerator as needed.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768