Batch Sparge - one more time

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bemert

Batch Sparge - one more time

Post by bemert »

With all the new updates, what is the proper way to setup a batch sparge (single batch sparge) and will BTP calculate the water volume or do we have to determine the volume to add for the sparge? If I am shooting for a rest at 154f, does BTP calculate what my sparge water temp should be based on my anticipated grist temp after the first runoff (before the sparge)? If not, I would assume to use the calculator to get that. Any step by steps would be fantastic for this new AG brewer!

Thanks in advance,
Brian
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

maybe a sticky?

Post by bzwrxbz »

Lathe, Jeff,

Perhaps when this is answered, it should become a sticky. This way, when the newest item/s for batch sparging come out, it can be updated and people will know!

thx!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Batch Sparge - one more time

Post by jeff »

bemert wrote:If I am shooting for a rest at 154f, does BTP calculate what my sparge water temp should be based on my anticipated grist temp after the first runoff (before the sparge)?
I am pretty sure you always want to use sparge water in the range of 168-170F. You could go higher if you think some heat loss will occur during the process of adding the sparge water to the mash tun. This temperature range will promote maximum extraction. You will also want to mash-out by raising the temperature of the mash to 168-170F before beginning any type of sparge step. At least this is what I have personally learned about sparging.

You mention a rest of 154F in your post; are you possibly referring to an infusion here instead of a sparge?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I think he means his sacc. rest is 154
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
bemert

Post by bemert »

Seems like a silly question now that I look at it and the responses. Can anyone provide screen shots of their batch sparge procedure so I know if I am on the right track?

Thanks,
Brian
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

bemert,

just emailed you a file.

jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

jawbox wrote:bemert,

just emailed you a file.

jaw
That's great for bemert, but what about the rest of us? I pretty much had batch sparging figured out back in version 1.0.06, but then program changed and I'm lost again. I'm currently running version 1.0.15 and haven't had any success putting together a Session that makes sense. I'm hung up on how to account for the water that is lost to grain adsorption.
bzwrxbz
Double IPA
Double IPA

yes

Post by bzwrxbz »

Yes, coloradoBrewer, this is why originally I wanted this to be a sticky. I want to see the latest and greatest ways of making a batch sparge schedule.

Perhaps jawbox (or the writers of BTP) can post a picture and list some small instructions for this sticky.

thx!
Fermenting : Ordinary Bitter, Hefe
Bottled : Too many bottles

WinXP PentiumIV Res:1920x1200 120DPI

Blog: http://hobbybrau.blogspot.com
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Is there somewhere we can post our recipe files to so that everyone can access them without having to email them around?

Lakota and I have exchanged some batch schedule files and he sent me 3 different alternatives ways of setting up batch sparge schedules in 1.0.15. It was interesting to look at them and consider which would work best for me. It might be good to post these things somewhere for people to look at.

I'll try and get some screen shots and post them tonite.
Can anyone tell me how to take screenshots on the Mac?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Lakota
Light Lager
Light Lager

Batch Sparge Samples

Post by Lakota »

I have posted the sample batch sparge recipes slothrob is speaking of at:

http://www.lakotabrew.com

Make sure you right click the link and left click "Save Target as..." in the drop down menu to save the file to your computer.

Thanks again Jeff and crew for your help.....

Lakota
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Thanks for making the extra effort, Lakota and slothrob. I have to leave for work, but will check them out tonight.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post recipes at BeerTools.com

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:Is there somewhere we can post our recipe files to so that everyone can access them without having to email them around?
I would imagine the best place is the 'recipe library' database for BeerTools.com unless you are talking about something that is strictly for experimentation of the program and is not really a bona fide recipe. In that case we wouldn't want to clutter up the BT recipe library with invalid or incomplete recipes that are only for the purpose of illustrating a feature of BTP. Perhaps Jeff and company can create a folder in the database with the 'Style' label of "00 - BTP Program Experiments" or something like that. Just a thought.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Batch Sparge Samples

Post by billvelek »

Lakota wrote:I have posted the sample batch sparge recipes slothrob is speaking of at:

http://www.lakotabrew.com
Thanks, Lakota. I've saved them and will take a look the first chance I get.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

http://waterstreetbrewery.net/BTP

Haven't played with it for a week or two. But this is where I got to. You can save the file by right clicking.

Later,
jaw

PS I put this together in 1.0.12
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Lakota and jawbox, thanks for posting the recipes. I only had time to give them a quick look, but it looks like they are what I need to figure this out. I actually was a lot closer than I thought, so thanks.