Cleaners

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

ian2119

Cleaners

Post by ian2119 »

I've always used chlorine bleach to sterilize my equipment, but I would like to change. Which of the cleaners works best? (easiest, fastest, etc...)
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Five Star

Post by Push Eject »

I'm pretty happy with starsan and saniclean from Five Star chemicals. They are no-rinse sanitizers (NOT STERILIZERS - which I assume you didn't mean anyway as very few of us have ever even seen an autoclave :)
My local brew store carries their products, perhaps yours does too. If not, here's the website:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/homebrew/index.html
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bleach

Post by Freon12 »

I still have bleach spots on my Viking shirt.
Five star is safer for shirts, and beer.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

Idophor

Post by l48shark »

A common homebrewing sanitizer is Idophor, which is a no rinse, iodine solution, which works quite well. You should see it in any homebrew supply store.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

An enviro-friendly alternative...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Five Star also makes another family of products that are composed of chlorine dioxide which breaks down into harmless compounds after use and has the added benefit to your water supplier of decreasing the water's BOD (biological oxygen demand). These sanitizers will not damage clothes and are also no rinse. They go under the names Oxine & Starxene. The only difference is that Starxene is more concentrated.