Pale malt specs

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Pale malt specs

Post by Fraoch »

Got hold of the specifications for the malt I am just about to use, and now im confused, - ignorance was bliss.
OK its 2 row australiian "Schooner" but it has moisture of up to 4.5%, lab wort PH 6, does this mean mash at ph6 for best results??? Diastatic power of deg WK 200 - 230, Mealy% 85, WHAT??? Glassy max3%. Friability min 80% Final attenuation degree% 81 +/-3. ALpha amylase (OK I know what this is but....)DU > = 35, Free amino nitrogeon ppm Min 160.
Mesa, I think this is one for you, I've used this time and time again but now ive got the specs - in the hope of improving mash % I'm a little lost - OK, out of my depth. What does it all mean????
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

How to read malt analysis specs....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I could outline the specifics of this malt you have, but it would be lengthy. Instead, use this link and get the whole picture:

http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html

(Besides: recently I've been subject to getting things backwards because I've been really tired due to overwork... this way I know it is right. I think I'll stop posting technical stuff for a while until I'm better rested, I hate the thought that I might misinform people !)
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Whew...

Post by dartedplus »

Thats quite a site, I myself will have to wait until I am better rested in order to take it all in. There is a lot ofinfo there. I read through most of it, but I will have to print out the malt specs listed in the previous post so that I have some numbers to compare to what they are talking about. By the way MM, if you could get the formulas or whatever I will need to convert the refractometer readings once there is alcohol present in my wort I would appreciate it. The refractometer should be arriving any day now and I plan on brewing this weekend. But I would like to be able to test it out with some another brew that I am about to botle this weekend. Thanks in advance, and get some REST!!!!
Ed
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

cheers Mesa,

Post by Fraoch »

Thanks for the link, off now to have a look, although by the sounds of it it is probably going to confuse me more. Look forward to you back on line after the rest.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

invaluble information

Post by Fraoch »

WOW! Easy to read, and at quick glance i'm happier with my malt than before!! Printed it off for more scrutinising tomorrow at work. Great link - Thanks a million