Head retention

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Head retention

Post by dohertyd »

I made a batch of pale ale, the second time I've used this recipe. It seems that I get a good head straight out of the bottle, but it doesn't seem to stay very long. I know my sanitation is good, and there are no off-flavors to indicate any kind of contamination. Should I be adding more priming sugar, or some sort of adjunct during the boil to get better head retention?
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Check Your Glassware

Post by BillyBock »

What's your recipe (all grain, partial mash, extract) and priming method? However, I'd suspect your glassware first before altering any of your procedures. If the glass isn't "beer clean" head won't stay. Rinsing agents from automatic dishwasher soap and leftover oils will kill your head retention. Handwash your glasses and rinse 'em out good. Then re-evaluate after doing so. Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill
dohertyd
Light Lager
Light Lager

Aha!

Post by dohertyd »

I do extract brewing, mostly because it's simpler. I'm relatively new to brewing, and don't have a lot of room to store the equipment I'd need to to do all-grain. I prime by boiling corn sugar in water, and stirring it into the fermented wort.

My wife is a dishwasher fanatic. I'm guessing that might be the problem, so I'll give the hand-washing a try. Thanks!
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dishwasher hint

Post by fitz »

I was my bottles and beer glasses in the dishwasher, but I don't use the detergent. I put one step in the prewash area, and sone coarse salt in the wash area. You can't get any closer to beer clean. I have a nice rocky head on my beer, that lasts until its gone. Of course, that doesn't take too long most of the time.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

There's an Idea!

Post by BillyBock »

Nice tip! Is coarse salt the same as rock salt?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Pickling Salt

Post by fitz »

I use mortons pickling salt. Pretty much the same as the salt on soft pretzels. I load up the bottom part of the dishwasher with the bottles(48 fit nicely) and the top part with my beer glasses/mugs two tablespoons of the salt is enough for the wash.