Wit report yet again

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wit report yet again

Post by Freon12 »

Yeh,yeh, I'm finishing this.
Transfered the beertools Wit today and gravity was down to 1.015(from 1.045), the sample at room tempreture indicates the warming bitter tone is going to be on target!
I think I may be short on the spice a tad, but very very close. Maybe after priming and cooling to 45f it will work out great.

The color is now close to Hefe, a lighter yellowish golden hue.
I think terminal gravity should be about 1.010-1.009??? Any thoughts.

Steve.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Any sourness?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

The Snyder Brewmaster's Bible puts FG at 1.006-1.010, so you're right on target in your projection. A recipe in the wit article from teh May/June Zymurgy puts an FG of 1.012 on a recipe that started out at 1.045.

I would be surprised if your beer ends up underspiced, because your rates seemed fairly assertive to me. What about the effects of the acid malt - is there noticable tartness? Is it too much, too little or Baby Bear perfect ("just right")?

Are you kegging or bottling, and what did you decide with regard to priming?

Brew it Like You Mean it!
Jim
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Keg it

Post by Freon12 »

The sample seems very much like I wanted.
The nose is very much like Hefe.
An orange bitterness giving way to a "sweettart" type sourness that is very light and fades fast.
I can't tell the taste of the corriander and that was my spice comment. I almost want to carbonate it now!

I'll relax.

Also, while I had the mill out, I went ahead and brewed the dunkal wiezen for next month.

Brew you later,
Steve