I want to make some labels

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

beer labels

Post by slimsparty »

I too have thought about labels. Then my mentor said, "hey you'll just have to soak them off again. :x

So I'm a sharpie letter on the cap guy now. I agree, A date code would pretty smart as supply catches up with demand in my conditioning shelves.

I still love the idea of cool labels, my father in law an ex newspaper reporter and publishe author was thinking of making some for me.

Otherwise, whenever I'm around now, people look for the unlabeled bottles, knowing that is where the good stuff is. :P
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by dasein668 »

I've thought about, but haven't yet tried, creating a stencil version of my logo and using glass etching liquid to etch my bottles. Then I would have the logo and my brewery name on each bottle.

If I get around to trying that I'll also etch a rectangle onto each bottle so that I can write the type of beer on each bottle with a grease pencil. I think that would hold up in a damp environment.
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
rkerstetter

Post by rkerstetter »

I use the Avery 3"X4" removable labels. They can be easily peeled off and require no soaking. I do the label design with Avery's DesignPro for Mac. Works great. :)
Primary: Scottish 60 Shilling, St. Paul Porter
Secondary: None
Bottled: Cream Ale, Irish Red, Hodgepodge Stout, Nut Brown Ale, Rubbermaid™ ESB, Liebfraumilch, Kölsch, Pumpkin Ale
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Label follow up...

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

So, after reading this post, a few people recommended the removable labels from OnlineLabels.com.

I bought 100 of these and began putting them on my bottles. I find them harder to remove than regular craft beer bottle labels. The adhesive sticks like crazy. Maybe it's because they sat in a fridge for awhile, but I'm not sure I'm very pleased with them.

Has anyone figured out a way to waterproof labels? Maybe a thin coat of some spray on polyurythane? I'm not sure if this would ruin the colors.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What about "dots" on the caps?

Post by billvelek »

I've never bothered to label my beers; I just mark the bottle caps with a sharpie. However, it's almost impossible for me to write more than a few initials on the cap, so I have considered trying Avery "dots", but just haven't gotten around to it. "Dots" are 3/4" diameter circular labels that will fit on top of a bottle cap just fine, and then you won't need to worry about removing them from the bottles. I think that a piece of wide scotch tape across the small label should help protect it from running/smearing if it gets wet. Avery has templates for their labels which can be used with various word processing programs, and with the 'text' tools that most of them have, you might be able to create some text around the circumference, as well as add something in the center.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I also just mark the tops of my beers. Unless I'm planning on giving them away. I give away 6 packs to friends and now I'm entering the BYO Label contest, so I'd like to have a solid label to send them.

If I'm not giving them away, they're number or letter coded and I have a list in my storage room to help remind me what's what.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
slothrob

Re: Label follow up...

Post by slothrob »

Suthrncomfrt1884 wrote:So, after reading this post, a few people recommended the removable labels from OnlineLabels.com.

I bought 100 of these and began putting them on my bottles. I find them harder to remove than regular craft beer bottle labels. The adhesive sticks like crazy. Maybe it's because they sat in a fridge for awhile, but I'm not sure I'm very pleased with them.

Has anyone figured out a way to waterproof labels? Maybe a thin coat of some spray on polyurythane? I'm not sure if this would ruin the colors.
I'm surprised you had problems with the "removable" labels. Like I said in my post, I've had no problem just pealing them off after leaving them on for several weeks. I'll experiment with leaving them in the fridge for a few weeks and see if that changes things. I do have to say that I rarely use them because I prefer the dots.

I have heard of people using spray-on polyurethane to make them water resistant, but I doubt they can be made water proof. Maybe if you brought the labels to a small print shop they could print some with waterproof ink.

Is the ink in a color laser printer or a color copier waterproof?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mule
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by mule »

Check with the local ink jet cartridge refill place, they have access to different types of inks. If I'm not mistaken, they do have water proof inks. I'll be checking on this one myself..... The boss's wife has an ink jet refill business.

I made my labels on MS Publisher.
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost.