Using Bouron

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Circle7
Light Lager
Light Lager

Using Bouron

Post by Circle7 »

Hey Folks,

Trying to figure out alcohol adjustments using Bouron in a recipe. I see in BT where I can add a special ingredient, name it and say what it costs, but no way to really know the effect on ABV. I have read that it's roughly 1% per pint per 5 gallons.

In my case I will be adding 6 cups (roughly 12 pints) of 45% (90 proof) Bourbon to 19 gallons of beer that was 6.5% to begin with.

So 2 questions...

1) Any guess at what that will do to the final ABV

2) Is there any way to have Beer Tools figure this out for me?

Thanks!
slothrob

Re: Using Bouron

Post by slothrob »

45% Bourbon will add 1.1% if you add a pint to 5 gallons. You can calculate it like this:
(ABV increase) = (ABV of Bourbon) x (ounces of Bourbon) ÷ (ounces of beer + ounces of Bourbon).

It's helpful to know that 5 gallons is 640 ounces and a pint is 16 ounces. By the way, 6 cups is 3 pints, not 12. 3 pints of 90 proof adds 3 x 1.1% = 3.3%, to 5 gallons.

To get BeerToolsPro to calculate this, create a new adjunct and named it "Bourbon". Edit it to uncheck "Mashing Requited" and change the "Original Gravity" field to "56.5 °Oe". Then, if you add the quantity in ounces or treat pounds as pints, it should calculate the final ABV for you.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
brewmaster

Re: Using Bouron

Post by brewmaster »

I actually made a helpful conversion chart that I hang in my garage to reference. It's nice to look over and just double check things. It's worth sitting down and making if you have the time.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink beer. When they wake up in the morning, That's as good as they're going to feel all day." -- Frank Sinatra