water Ph

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Lone Wolf
Light Lager
Light Lager

water Ph

Post by Lone Wolf »

I'm getting back into brewing and I have found out that the water ph down here is about 4.0. How much of a difference will that make in my beer. I extract brew.

LW
You like WWII airshows then you may like my WWII site. http://www.ww2-airshows.lone-wolfs-den.com Or stop on by and see what we have been up down on the farm. www.greene-acres.com
slothrob

Water pH

Post by slothrob »

The pH of the water is usually of little importance. It is the residual alkalinity of the water that matters. While the importance of that is primarily to a mash, so it wouldn't seem to affect extract brewers, alkaline water can affect the pH of the final beer, which can affect the flavor and clarity of that beer. In general, though, it isn't something an extract brewer needs to worry about much.

If your water has an acid pH, there's probably little chance that your water is alkaline, so the extract will be the dominant factor affecting the beer pH. It probably isn't a concern for you.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
C_R_J

if

Post by C_R_J »

if you use lots of dark malts, your ph goes down right? so the lighter the beer, the less you are going to lower ph.
intel duo core 3.0 nvidia 6800gs windows xp fully updated 4 gig of gskill ram crappy samtron monitor 1024x768