All extract

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

TaosMax

All extract

Post by TaosMax »

I have recently moved on to an all grain system, and wanted to brew the last of my all extract kits. It's an American Amber with 2.5# of DME and 3.3# of LME. I also had an extra 4# can of LME around, and decided to add it to the kit. My O.G. was 1.116! Once I realized that the ale yeast would never ferment that amount of sugar, I added a gallon of water, bringing the total up to 6 gallons. I SHOULD have checked my gravity at that point, but was rushing off to work and neglected to check. Can anyone think of a way to adjust the O.G. with the information given, or should I just chalk it up to negligence and go with what I have? I plan to use a secondary and tertiary fermentation process, so that all sugars will be as fermented as possible, and will keg the beer, so exploding bottles aren't an issue. Suggestions?
slothrob

extract additions

Post by slothrob »

Don't worry, there must have been a reading error or the water added wasn't mixed in evenly. 2.5# of dry extract and 7.3# of liquid extract will make 6 gallons of ~1.069 beer. ((2.5# x 36 points/#)+(7.3# x 44 points/#))/6= 69 or 1.069
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mikfir

Re: All extract

Post by mikfir »

TaosMax wrote:I have recently moved on to an all grain system, and wanted to brew the last of my all extract kits. It's an American Amber with 2.5# of DME and 3.3# of LME. I also had an extra 4# can of LME around, and decided to add it to the kit. My O.G. was 1.116! Once I realized that the ale yeast would never ferment that amount of sugar, I added a gallon of water, bringing the total up to 6 gallons. I SHOULD have checked my gravity at that point, but was rushing off to work and neglected to check. Can anyone think of a way to adjust the O.G. with the information given, or should I just chalk it up to negligence and go with what I have? I plan to use a secondary and tertiary fermentation process, so that all sugars will be as fermented as possible, and will keg the beer, so exploding bottles aren't an issue. Suggestions?
Wyeast 1056 will easily handle the OG you had. No reason to add water. You would have had an Imperial Amber Ale. Very tasty--just don't plan on drinking more than two at a time.
Mike