More carbonation questions

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

sneeden

More carbonation questions

Post by sneeden »

I have two quesitons here. This parameters are kind of broad in details. If you would like more, please ask.

1.) Once the priming sugar has been added and the beer has been bottled, what is the ideal temperature to store it in? I was under the impression that cooler was better. I am sure that this depends on the type of yeast, yes?

My recipe called for primary fermentation in 65-75 degrees (I'm sure this depends on the type of yeast, yes?). But for carbonation I let it sit in ~60-65, or is it supposed to be stored in the same temperature as the primary?

2.) Suppose the priming time has passed and one puts ALL of the beer in the fridge overnight. It turns out that the beer isn't finished priming yet. Will those temperatures put an end to any future priming? Or can you take them back out and be confident that the yeast is still alive in there to produce more carbonation?

Thanks everyone
slothrob

Re: More carbonation questions

Post by slothrob »

sneeden wrote:...is it supposed to be stored in the same temperature as the primary?

You don't have to keep the temperature as low as primary, because there is so little fermentation going on during carbonation. If you want the beer to carbonate within 2-3 weeks, 70°F or so is probably best. If you're willing to wait longer, 60°F is probably fine for most yeast. I usually carbonate around 60-62°F only because my house is cold, and everything is usually carbonated within 4 weeks.
sneeden wrote:...can you take them back out and be confident that the yeast is still alive in there to produce more carbonation
The yeast will be alive, but it will probably drop out of suspension, due to the cold. In most cases, warming it back up and giving it a gentle inversion or two should get the yeast going again. I've talked to people who have managed to accomplish this, but I just put 1 bottle at a time in the fridge until I have a good sense that carbonation has completed.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP