Is there big difference from extract/all grain brewing in ta

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Andrew

Is there big difference from extract/all grain brewing in ta

Post by Andrew »

Is there a big taste difference from all grain brewing compared to extract or partial brewing.
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Oh Yea

Post by maltvault »

I started as an extract brewer, made good beer, then I got into mini mashes and made better beer, I do all grain now with some adjuncts like honey and the such and now make GREAT beer!! I've had people offer to buy it from me, but since that's illegal we tend to barter for it. Alll grain is easy, just make grain soup at 140 degrees for 90 minutes, shoot it to 170 for 20 miutes, strain and there you go. Don't let the beer store guy say you need abunch of equipment either, I have a turkey frier I bought at Wal-Mart for $49.00, which came with a nice 6.5 gallon pot, and strain through a grain sack I stick in my bottleing bucket, and sparge; rinse the grain, with some water I preheated on the stove. People have been doing this for 1000's of years, so don't let people make it harder for you than it is. Also my cost per 12 oz glass is 24 cents, this includes all grains/hops/pressure pouches for my Party Pig; which is like a 2.5 gallon keg which fits perfect in my fridge. I hope this helps.
Malt Vault
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Don't quite agree...

Post by Push Eject »

Maltvault makes a lot of good points that I do agree with, however in answer to your question, "Is there a big difference... in taste?" my own humble opinion is IT DEPENDS.

I've won awards with extract brews & steeped grains. With experience, I think, like any other hobby, you get better and better each time you refine your craft. I think we've all tasted some amazing extract brews, some god-awful all grain brews and vice versa.

That said, there are some things you cannot do without a true mash (e.g.: releasing proteins from flaked wheat or barley). Certain grains just need a mash.

Either way trust your tastebuds, keep it fun and keep brewing.

Cheers