Maximum Allowable Primary Time?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Does anyone have a feel for the max safe allowable primary ferm time that will eliminate the need for secondary, but not incorporate issues with spoiling trub?

Ive read some posts suggesting a 3-4 week primary is OK and will eliminate the need for secondary. Ive gone both ways on this. I made a Gouden Carolus Tripel clone that was 2 weeks on primary and nearly 4 on secondary. I repeated the recipe, racked and force carbonated after 2 weeks primary as well. The 2 week beer is good, but green with more paritcles and haze. The aged beer is nothing short of amazing.
Manplant
slothrob

max primary time

Post by slothrob »

I haven't hit a maximum time for the beer to stay in primary. So it's greater than 4 weeks, but I don't know how much greater.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Do you notice any off flavors? Is this as good as using a secondary? Have you done any high gravity this way?
Manplant
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

I like to primary for a week then go to the secondary. I do the secondary because it helps clean up the beer. You probably can leave a beer in the primary for a little more than a month, but it won't clear it up.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

You won't get any off-flavors that I've detected. If anything, you'll increase your chances of removing off-flavors left by incomplete fermentation, like diacetyl and acetaldehyde. I do try and get most of the hop material out before primary so that the beer isn't sitting on all that vegatal matter for 3 weeks.

I don't expend a lot of effort chasing down clear beer, but I'd think the beer would clear as well sitting in primary as secondary, but you won't have that extra transfer to separate the beer from the trub. For this reason, it's probably best to get as much of the break material out prior to fermentation as possible.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Thank you for the help. Ive been straining the wort upon pouring into the primary for the last few batches now. This is removing 90% of the hop material. Ive been making mostly beligain style ales.

What type of beers do you typically make?
Manplant
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

I usually make British style ales, like Bitters and Pale Ales, or Americanized versions of them. I also make a few German style, usually variations on Alts and K
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Sounds good. Ive got a honey Kolsch in the secondary now. Should be ready this week.

Speaking of British ales, can you point me in the direction of a clone recipe for Sam Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale? or something as good?

I appreciate your help
Manplant
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

Sorry, I don't really know any clone recipes, I pretty much just experiment with interesting recipes I read about in the forums and jumble together myself.

I can give you my basic approach to an English pale, though:

10# Maris Otter Malt (or whatever it takes to get you to 1.050 or so OG).
0.5# British Crystal Malt (60
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
manplant
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by manplant »

Good stuff. Ill use this as a baseline and go from there.
Manplant
Pul_se

Re: Maximum Allowable Primary Time?

Post by Pul_se »

Hi @manplant could would you share the recipe for the founder carols triple? This is my favorite beer and I moved to Texas and I can't find the it here.