using inert gas in the carboys??

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

using inert gas in the carboys??

Post by stumpwater »

Anyone ever used Argon gas in the carboy? Being inert, I have heard that it is good for filling the headspace to insure no chance of oxidizing your beer. Just wondering as I am preping for my first lager.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

CO2 or treated water?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I don't have any idea about the argon, but it seems like itmight be overkill. If you have a kegging setup ro even minikeg cartridge tap, why not just purge the headspace with CO2. Being heavier than O2, you'll spare your beer from oxidation during lagering. Or, get a 5 gallon carboy that will just fit the batch and top off with boiled and cooled water. Maybe you just have argon laying around and are looking for an excuse to go hi tech, but, as FZ said, it sounds like treating dandruff by decapitation.

Cheers,
Jim
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Argon, stargon.

Post by Freon12 »

Welding gases are pricey, but it will work.

Co2 is better and I'm not sure the beer won't mix with the gas and give a wierd taste.
Force carbonate a bottle with it and taste it.

I have nitro and C02 and prefer one of them. R22 is also an inert gas, but I would not use it for beer.

Steve
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

squeeky brew

Post by Fraoch »

i once thought of force carbonating with Helium in the hope that once you start drinking you develope the 'squeeky' voice you get when you inhale the stuff. After a couple of good brews with mates you,d be laughing too much to drink though. We used to use it in the neon industry so I might still try it one day