Looking for Ratio of Malt Extract to Grain

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Looking for Ratio of Malt Extract to Grain

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi all, I have some good recipes I want to brew but some are in malt extract units (IE: 6 Lbs, malt extract) I recall seeing somewhere that the ratio is something like 2/3lbs. Malt extract = 1 lbs. Grain, Or 6 lbs. Malt extract = 9 lbs. grain. Does anyone have different information; also what is the ratio of D.M.E. to either Malt Extract or Grain. Thanks in advance, and Cheers.

Paul.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Based on SG Contribution;

Post by andytv »

This cannot be the right approach but;

1 lb DME = 1.035 - 1.045 degrees per gallon
1 lb Liquid Malt Extract = 1.027 - 1.038
1 lb 2-row Pale (American) = 1.035 - 1.038

If you do the numbers, you'll find that you should be able to substitute lb for lb (unless your scale can measure .009 lbs). One pound of DME is approximately 2.4 cups.

This hypothetically makes sense, but the numbers seem a little way off. Anybody know why??

If you examine some recipes. you'll find that typically;

1 lb grain = .75 lb Syrup = .65 lb DME

I'd bet that you can use the recipe generator to get your answer for sure. Write down the vitals of a good extract recipe, then recreate it using grains; see what amount you need to hit the SG.

Andy
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Crazy Grain

Post by Monkey Man »

This is NOT taken directly from the source, but I seem to remember reading in "Desinging Great Beer" by Ray Daniels that the MALT to GRAIN ratio is 2/3. Thus GRAIN to MALT (DME) would be 3/2. It seems like you are on the right track/
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Extract to Grain Conversion....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Unfortunately, you cannot determine how much grain would equal an amount of extract with any particular accuracy. The reason is that different base malts yield different potential extracts and complicating matters, using averages assumes that you can perform the maximum extraction possible as listed on the malt analysis sheet which were LABORATORY performed mashes, not real world brewing trials. Your brewing efficiency will ultimately determine the amount of extract derived from your chosen grains. My advice is to go ahead and use the oft quoted average extraction rates and keep detailed records of your results so that you can make adjustments to the grist on subsequent batches.

Now... in reverse, (grain to extract conversion), if you know the gravity that was derived from your mash, simply use the manufacturer's supplied points per pound and you will nail it as long as you are accurate in your water useage and evaporation percentage.

Eric