What Would Happen?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What Would Happen?

Post by BillyBock »

What would happen to the yeast in suspension if, while my beer was clearing, it accidentally froze overnight?

v/r
Bill
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

umm

Post by Freon12 »

Really clear, hard to carbonate beer?
Sleepy yeast?

I would think ale yeast would not do so well, and that lager yeast would recover quickly.

That's my two cents.

Steve.
HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

This happened to me....twice!

Post by HardcoreLegend »

This happen to me a couple times this winter. I like to cold condition the secondary fermenter in the garage for a week or two. I live in northern Illinois near Chicago, so it can occasionally get cold enough to freeze inside the garage. The last time this happened was to an IPA. It did not freeze solid, but did freeze a great deal. Anyhow, I was worried about the whole dead yeast and lack of carbonation thing too. I moved the fermenter back inside, thawed it out, and bottled it just as it was. Came out perfectly. No problems at all. So, relax, bottle, condition, and enjoy.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Dead Yeast?

Post by BillyBock »

I would've thought the ice might rupture some of the yeast cell walls and spill the contents into the beer. Did you notice any off flavors?