Neverending fermentation...

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Neverending fermentation...

Post by HardcoreLegend »

This is a follow up to my earlier Cold Yeast.. posting. The brew has been in the primary for a week now and is still bubbling about every 10-20 seconds. I took a gravity reading just to see where I was at and it is 1.026. Predicted final gravity is supposed to be 1.013. Is there anything I should do to help, or just continue to wait it out?
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

I think your yeast 'hit the wall'.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Hardcore,
I think now is the time to add more yeast. If you are reasonably sure that the batch is not contaminated you should make a small (1 quart) starter and repitch. Do not over do it with the amount. You are just trying to drop the SG a fraction of the oroginal value.

As I stated before viability is the key to preventing stuck fermentations. New yeast needs to be acclimated to their new environment (higher gravities require more live yeast). Oxegenation of the wort is the second deciding factor. This helps the yeast form flexible membrains that enable them intake the nutrients from the wort and excreet waste by products to the wort (some wanted and some not wanted). Temperature ,if held within the range, will help regulate cell growth, reproduction and the amount of esters excreeted into the wort.

Sanitize the outside of your fermenter, open it in a clean room (avoid dust and drafts) and repitch some more yeast. Keep writting your notes for the next brew.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Hey Tom...What If I...?

Post by HardcoreLegend »

What if I rack the brew to the secondary fermenter, then take some of the remaining yeast slurry, mix it with some corn sugar and pure water, let it get going, then pitch that to my secondary?
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Irish Red

Post by dartedplus »

My irish red got down to 1.022 and it refuses to go any farther. Its only supposed to go down to 1.019, so its not as far off as yours. I'll bottle in a day or two when I have the time, but I'm not too worried about it, it will taste just fine.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeast energizer

Post by fitz »

Have you tried yeast energizer, or yeast nutrient?
Sometimes the sugar content is too high, and the yeast needs additional other nutrients to help them out. Also, If there are to many unfermentables, you can try some amalaze enzyme. If I question the amount of unfermentables, I usually put some of this in a pitching time to help convert unfermentable to fermentables.