I think everything's fine...

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

HomeBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

I think everything's fine...

Post by HomeBrew »

Bucket fermentations are notorious for leaking; thus the CO2 escapes around the lid, and the airlock shows no activity, but the yeast are having plenty of fun. The description of your yeast floating on top sounds good, and you've certainly dropped the gravity some -- I'd guess you're shooting for something around 1.010 or 1.012?

My best guess is everything is fine, just be patient. I've lost track of how much time has elapsed since fermentation began -- less than a week? Let it go a few days more...

Are you going to do a secondary fermentation?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Agree

Post by fitz »

With the limited info we have, it sounds like your beer will be fine. Since the yeast is still ontop, make sure you don't try to bottle it. The yeast still sounds like it is quite active. Also, you may be able to physically see the bubbles coming out of the wort, or half made beer. You may never obtain the final gravity you expect. The best way to determin is to keep it at a constant temp, and to check it with your hydrometer after the yeast falls to the bottom and there is no longer a sign of fermentation. Take two readings a couple days apart and see if the readings change. If they do not, you have probably gone as far as it would go. By the way, make sure everything is spotless, and don't breathe into to wort, or beer when you are testing. A little bit of airborne bacteria or yeasts could ruin you batch of beer in a hurry if you keep taking the lid off of your fermenter.