Carbonation in the glass???

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

bwilliamson

Carbonation in the glass???

Post by bwilliamson »

Gotta start by complimenting this great website. The tools are awesome!!!
I have made Mr. Beer kits in the past and they all taste the same to me so I decided to grow up a little and graduate to real brewing.

I recently brewed my first batch of beer and had a question on the carbonation or rather the carbonation once the cold brew hits the glass. If I pour it in and let it foam up it will create so much of a head that I barely can fit the whole bottle in a glass. Then when you drink it, it does have some carbonation but it seems to go flat very fast. Like it lost all the carbonation on the head. On the other hand if I pour carefully onto the side of the glass as to not cause any head the beer is carbonated the entire time you drink it. Is this a normal occurrence with home brew or what?

I used a True Brew IPA "Maestro" kit.
OSG was 1.045 and the FG was 1.0132 when I bottled.
They sat in about 65-70 deg. for 10 days before I chilled one and tried it.
The taste is good but it has me curious. I almost feel I have to give a pouring instruction sheet to anyone I share one with so they can taste it as it should be, not flat.

Thoughts?
slothrob

lost carbonation

Post by slothrob »

You will lose carbonation from any beer by pouring it aggressively, it's not unique to homebrew. If the beer is still cloudy, you might have more nucleation sites than a typical commercial beer, which will make it easier for bubbles to form, which might exaggerate the effect, I suppose.

If it's only been 10 days since you bottled it, though, it may still have some conditioning time before it is fully carbonated.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP