Holiday ale ending gravity still high

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

Holiday ale ending gravity still high

Post by Bender »

Brewed a holiday ale extract w/OG at 1.065 and the FG was 1.040 The yeast I used was a Wyeast smack pack 1056 and I did a yeast starter. When I pitched it I had activity in less then 8 hours and continued as any normal brew I do. Once it stopped completely 13 days later I transferred it to a secondary and drew a sample and it registered 1.040 which I though was way to high. so I had some dry windsor ale yeast which I just added to the secondary and let it go. noticed some activity for a day or so but then settled out quickly. Temps were constant in the 64F - 66F I even brought the temp up a bit in the secondary but I am still at 1.040 should I get some more yeast and try again? I did a full 60 min boil. I am just wondering where I went wrong? should I just dump it or keg it and drink it? Have never had this issue before. any suggestions are much appreciated.
slothrob

High FG

Post by slothrob »

There's not much that will attenuate more than 1056, but man that's high. Does it taste like 1.040? Could your hydrometer be way off? What is the SG you measure for tap water?

What was the recipe? Not that there is any recipe I can think of that would only attenuate 38%, unless it was nearly half Lactose or Maltodextrin.

I should say that Windsor was probably not the best choice to try and get it to finish, since I believe it is a low attenuating strain. US-05 would have been a more attenuative choice, but it is the same yeast as 1056.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bender »

tap water measures as close to 1.001 at 68F and my coffee porter and sage IPA (brewed after holiday ale) were right on the mark for my recipes. I used 9lbs of amber LME and 1 bottle of Lyles golde syrup along with some grains. So I think it was the yeast that possibly stalled. So I went out yesterday and picked up some yeast nutrient booster added it and brought the temp up significantly and I am now getting significant conversion going on :D thanks for the none the less. Lets hope it works.
Cheers
slothrob

stalled ferment

Post by slothrob »

Good luck, and let me know how it works out.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bender »

Well it worked out just fine. FG wound up being 1.011 ABV=7.3. Also took a growler to a local beerposium for others to sample and it was a big hit. Working on a chocolate chili ipa next
cheers
slothrob

stalled ferment

Post by slothrob »

Good deal!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP