How much sugar to carbonate (forgot to measure gravity)

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Dooder

How much sugar to carbonate (forgot to measure gravity)

Post by Dooder »

I made a brew

Recipe:
6lbs Dry malt extract Wheat
.25 lbs Munich grain
1oz Tettnanger hops
Safbrew WB-06 yeast

Fermented in 5 gal. carboy

It's been 16 years since I brewed and I forgot to geat a gravity measurement before I pitched the yeast (I think I was too excited about getting it started).

A day or tow later I realized my mistake and need some help from experienced brewers on what amount of corn sugar you might recommend to finsh for carbonation.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

carbonation

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I usually put around 3-4 ounces of corn sugar into each batch. It all depends on how much carbonation you'd want though. Being a wheat beer, you will probably want a good amount of carbonation.

Not knowing the temp and alcohol content, I would probably put around 3/4cup of corn sugar into 2 cups water. Boil and add to bottling bucket.

That's a safe amount to add. You won't have any bottle bombs, and it won't be over carbonated.

Check out this link if you want to get more exact with your additions....
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

I would probably put around 3/4cup of corn sugar into 2 cups water.
3/4 cup is about the standard. I have never had any problem with that measurement. If you go to 1 cup you will end up with over carbonation or "bottle bombs".
"B"
cozrulz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by cozrulz »

I think 1 ounce of corn sugar, per 1 gallon of beer.

Although, usually I go a little below that. 3/4 of a cup would probably be alright. Then if it is a little undercarbonated you can adjust accordingly on future batches.

Mix the corn sugar with 2 cups of water, and make sure to lightly stir (no splashing) when transferring the beer to the bottling bucket. This will help mix the solution evenly and carbonate the beers evenly.
Dooder

Replies to my question Re: forgot to measure gravity...

Post by Dooder »

Thank all who replied. I think its all coming back. I think the 3/4 cup is the most I'll use, just to avoid any problems. Next time I'll measure.

Thanks!!!