Blowoff drank sanitizer liquid

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Blowoff drank sanitizer liquid

Post by slimsparty »

I was finishing up the 2nd batch and a little sleepy. I wanted to put my Primary 6gal Carboy in the basement to cool overnight and pitch first thing -like 7 hours later.

I had a big plastic mug of c-brite solution i saved from the sanitization of everything else to put the end of the blow off in.

I carefully put the carboy in the box to keep the light off the beer. Then the hose wouldn't reach so i proped the cup up on a 6gal plastic fermenter i use for general liquid sanatizing, grinding grain, etc.

I should mention the c-brite is 1 .8oz pack for a gallon of water at this point.

The next morning I went down to pitch and the cooling of the air and wort had caused the blow off (1.25" OD tube) to "drink in" the c-brite solution maybe 1-2 cups.

I had no activity for about 24 hours, now at lunch I spotted fermentation krausen forming. (I thought the yeast was dead)

So my question is: Can i even drink this stuff? Is the c-brite when diluted harmful? I'd guess the wort is about 4.5 gallons.

I hate to dump out $30-40 of ingredients, but illness is not much of an alternative.

please advise.

Going forward, I may skip the blowoff all together and just airlock it. I think some of my goonie mishaps are from being TOO careful and green.

Let me know -
hotbrew

Post by hotbrew »

Any cleaning solution in your beer is really going to alter the taste, like in a bad way. I would hate to tell you this but dump it before you got to much time into it and chauk it up as a learning experience.
slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

sanitizer in beer

Post by slimsparty »

yea i poured it out

it smelled dank and soaky so it may have been a blessing
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I'm assuming you didn't cool the beer? I'd always recommend very cheap vodka for airlocks.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)