Beer tastes a tinge like wine

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

londonaftermi26

Beer tastes a tinge like wine

Post by londonaftermi26 »

i have this lager fermenting 51-54 degreess, its in its second week, took a bit of a sample and it taste watery, and i bit like wine i was wondering is this normal, will it begin to flavor up as it ages, im a bit confused it has no piticular off flavors, also i see bubbles about every 3 seconds or so. im using a saflager s-23 dry yeast i hydrated it before i picthed it, i was also payed close attention to my measurement, grains vs extract etc, its a partial mash any info would be great!!!
londonaftermi26

update

Post by londonaftermi26 »

update on the lager process, well i guess it was change in the fermentation process, cause it starting to have more flavor now, and im starting to get more yeast activity, im looking to bottle it next weekend, and use the bottling in the fridge for the secondary, if anybody has other suggestions im open to all thanks again

mike
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: update

Post by wottaguy »

Here's what I do when I make a lager...

Leave it in the Primary for a minium of 4 weeks at correct fermenting temperatures.
If it is not clear, then leave it in for another week. It should be clear by then, if not, wait another week. I would not leave it in the primary for longer than 6 weeks. After cleared, check you FG and if there bottle or keg then lager and condition for another 3-4 weeks. It should be done after all of this.

Hope this helps
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

In some cases in can take a lager a month to ferment completely in primary. Lager yeasts do their job slower than ale yeast--so patience is key. My lager schedule is similar to wottaguy's: I keep the beer on the primary yeast bed for about 2-4 weeks, then I transfer to kegs and lager at 28F for the duration. I'd suggest waiting until the beer's completely fermented otherwise you might have bottle bombs in the fridge as the lager yeast will continue fermenting whereas an ale yeast would go dormant at those temps. Check out a previous response of mine:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopi ... r+schedule

As for the wine tinge, as long as your sanitation was good, I'd chalk it up to green beer at this point because it's not fully fermented/aged just yet. Hope this helps.

v/r
Bill