[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Bad crushing responsible for 55% eff. ????

Bad crushing responsible for 55% eff. ????

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Bad crushing responsible for 55% eff. ????

Postby kabbo » Thu May 04, 2006 12:12 am

kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Bad crushing responsible for 55% eff. ????

Postby Push Eject » Fri May 05, 2006 12:54 am

Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re : Bad crushing responsible for 55% eff. ????

Postby kabbo » Thu May 11, 2006 11:45 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad to hear my techniques are good, I was kind of concerned and discouraged.

To answer your question about the wheat, there was 50% german pils, 50% malted wheat (almost uncrushed...) and 1lb of wheat flakes.

The beer seems to ferment well and smells awesome. I tranfered to the secondary after 7 days and acticity increased (like a new primary). It has been 24 hours and bubbling is still steady, I think and hope it will get down soon for secondary.

I will try another recipe next week, this time no wheat, just crushed malt and some flaked rice. I will then have a better idea of my real extraction rate.

I will keep some DME just in case I need to boost the OG.

Thanks a lot !
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Re : Bad crushing responsible for 55% eff. ????

Postby Push Eject » Thu May 11, 2006 2:30 pm

If you are considering adding DME why not just throw 25% highly-modified (North American) two-row in the mash. The enzymes are SCREAMIN in those things and will give you a big boost all around.

Cheers,
Charlie
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

2-row

Postby kabbo » Thu May 11, 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks for the advice,

I will try without DME for the next batch, to know exactly my natural extraction rate, I will then see if I should use more grains in the future to achieve the target OG.

I'm pretty confident about the next batch, I will try to sparge more slowly and to correct the pH with precision, and I'll be really careful about heat loss and keeping the exact temp for the conversion.

I'll let you know,
Thanks again Charlie,

Kabbo
kabbo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Return to Brewing Problems, Emergencies, Help!