Not enough sugar

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

HairNutz

Not enough sugar

Post by HairNutz »

What would happen if say someone made a Mexican Style Cerveza using a can of Malt from Muntons and only used 55 - 60% of the 2.25lb of sugar required?

Just a very low alcohol?

Terrible taste?

Just curious. You know, incase someone were to do something like that.

Oh, and would it be too late to add the rest of the sugar say 5 days into fermentation? Just incase someone did do that ;)

I guess it helps to read the label clearly. 1KG of sugar looked like 1LB of sugar but unless my math is off, 1KG of sugar is actually about 2.25Lbs of sugar.. I was a bit short and didnt notice until reading the instructions again 5 days later.
Phobos
Light Lager
Light Lager

Sugar

Post by Phobos »

Hi. You can add the sugar to the fermentor. Just remeber to boil (say 5 minutes) a sugar solution, cool and add. That way it's sanitized. You can also replace the sugar one for one with malt extract. Good luck. :D
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Problems with sugar

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi,

Some problems with sugars are that they can lend a cidery taste to your beer. Can you give us an idea of the recipe specifics ? this might help us to understand what you are trying to make ...

Regards,

Paul.
"I drink therefore I am"
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

low alcohol

Post by richanne »

HairNutz,
Assuming you're using just a can of hopped malt extract from Munton and sugar and you didn't have a recipe, if you don't add more sugar, you will simply have a low alcohol beer.
Richard and Anne Brady
Brady's Homebrew
http://www.bradyshomebrew.com