Bubbling hasn't started

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

BrentD

Bubbling hasn't started

Post by BrentD »

My wort has been in the primary fermentor for 36 hours and I haven't noticed any activity or bubbling in the cock. It is my first brew and I am sort of anxious. I used an Ironmaster kit with the yeast that came with the kit. It is a bit cool here. How active will the bubbling become and should I, at any point in time, pitch another pack of yeast???
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Fermentation 101

Post by maltvault »

The activity could be stumped due to a dead yeast packet. Did you use the included yeast? If so pitch some fresh stuff. If not you might have a slow starter. Do you recall the temp? 80 degrees will kill half a packet of cells. Try going to the brew store and getting some yeast food. Keep the carboy between 68-76 degrees. Things should be fine. Don't fret using to much yeast, it will be left behind when you rack into the secondary. Good luck.
Malt Vault
BrentD

Slow Fermentation

Post by BrentD »

It was the yeast that came with the kit. So, I should pitch another pack of yeast???
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Yeast

Post by maltvault »

Yes, normally those packets are OEM and they sit on a hot shelf until sold. The brew guy at the store should have warned you. I use Coopers, or Safeale. I found the liquid yeasts are expensive, and do no better than a .75 package of fresh Coopers.
BrentD

More yeast

Post by BrentD »

I will pitch another pack of yeast tomorrow. Should I pull out a sample of the wort and start the yeast in the wort or use just worm water????
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Toss it

Post by maltvault »

Just throw it in, you'll run a serious risk of infection if you leave the airlock off very long. It'll look like clumps at first, but it'll fix it's self.
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

did it

Post by maltvault »

Did pitching a new yeat packet work ok for you?
BrentD

It did

Post by BrentD »

It took about 24 hours but it started and didn't stop for a week. I did another batch and used Edme yeast and it started 2 hours after it was pitched and stoppen a little more than a day later. Thought it was going to blow the air lock off. I don't know if that is good or bad.
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

That's ok

Post by maltvault »

Blowing off the airlock is fine, you sould have a blow off tube because when unfermented malt gets into the air lock it becomes a bacteria spa. So be sure to clean it good if it got wort in it. I am glad it's coming together. It took me about 2 years into the hobby, and 2-3 hundred dollars in equipment before my brewery became the very workable place it is today. Stick with it, it's a rewarding practice. Also join a brewing club if there's one in your area, mine meets once a month, has contests, picnics etc. Have fun with it though, and do NOT take it to seriously.
Malt Vault