Rickard's Red

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Budcar

Rickard's Red

Post by Budcar »

Anybody has a good clone recipe for Rickard's Red.
What i know so far about it is that; it's sweet,not that mutch bitter and malty.Ive tried it and here how it goes; 10 Lbs American 2-row,1 Lbs Caramel Malt 90L, 1 Lbs Carastan, 1 Lbs Munich Light Malt and Cascade for Hops.Oak Powder also in the primary.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Suggestions

Post by jayhawk »

I have a lot of experience guzzling Rickards. I agree that it is a malty beer, but I think your above recipe may be a little too malty. I believe Caramel and carastan are really just variations on Crystal malt, and whenever you have 2lbs of crystal in a recipe, no matter what form, you run the risk of overduing it. Also, munich is very malty as well, although i agree that it is well suited to this beer. Here is my suggestion:

10lbs 2 row
1 lbs Munich
.75-1lbs carastan/light crystal
.15 lbs Chocolate (for colour)

As far hops, you guess is as good as mine. I would not add any hops that would be boiled for less than 15 minutes, as Rickards is not overly aromatic.
Good luck
Chris
Budcar

Many Thanks!!

Post by Budcar »

Will try for sure on my next batch.I forgot to mention that i hold back 2Lbs of 2 row and toast it in the oven.What do you think?
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Liking it

Post by jayhawk »

Hey, good idea with the oven toasting. I did that on a honey pale and it really added some nice subtle toasty flavour. What is your method for toasting (ie temp, time, etc.)?
Budcar

Toasting!

Post by Budcar »

Preheat your oven to 350F and spread your grains on a cookie pan for 15min.Really smell nice in the house,trust me.Let them cool down a bit and crack them.Ho yes i meant to tell you that the reason i think we should use 2 Lbs of those crystal is to get that sweetness Rickard Red has.I got the profile from beer.com.Very good rundown of the beer.Check it out!
FrostyTheBeerman
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by FrostyTheBeerman »

Hi guys,

Just did a google for Rickard's red and came up with this forum,
great stuff :P

I am not really looking for a Richard's Red recipe, but more of how to get a Rickard's Red tin to a beer.

What is the best way to get that red tint ?

I've read on other boards using roasted barly does it, say adding a bit of it to plain old 2 row malt...... but I've tried that and wasn't so impressed.

Anyone have a tried and true method of getting that nice red tint to a beer ?

Thanks !

Frosty