Saflager Yeasts

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Saflager Yeasts

Post by BillyBock »

Has anyone used Saflager? What were your thoughts on its performance and flavor characteristics? I've used Safale S04 and have been impressed.

v/r
Bill
StephenD

Re Safflager Yeast

Post by StephenD »

I have used Safflager yeast many times and have generally been happy. It seems to amplify the citrus overtones of Cascade hops and has a lean dry finish.My only reservation is that like most Lager yeasts it likes to ferment at lower temps. If you are trying to ferment at higher ie 22C temps or above stick to the saffale, it handles the higher temps better.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Which Strain?

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks for the response. IIRC there's 4 different strains. Which one do have experience with? As far as temp control--not a problem. My problem is keeping it warm to do ales this time of year (freezer in garage). Of all the problems to have, huh? Being FORCED to do lagers, oh darn!
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lager yeasts

Post by fitz »

Saflager s23 yeast is a pretty good one. There is one made in Austrailia named Superior, that I like better. It has a nice clean taste. I even had a mishap once that the furnace vent was left open in the basement and it got too warm for lager yeasts normal brewing temps. The beer (I guess it would be considered a "Steam" Beer) still turned out well. If you have a chance to try it, try one of each(Saflager, and Superior) Then you'll know which you like best. Don't worry, both will be quite drinkable!
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks Guys

Post by BillyBock »

Thanks for the input, guys.
StephenD

Re which strain

Post by StephenD »

Sorry Billy i have been off email for a few days over xmas. The strain used was Safflager s23.