HopShot Hop Resin Extract

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewnet

HopShot Hop Resin Extract

Post by brewnet »

I have a recipe that calls for 5ml of HopShot. How would I estimate the profile from the Hops Ingredient DB? Milliliters isn't a selectable unit in the BTP Hop Editor. I guess I set Alpha to 10%, everything else to 0% or Unspecified, and use it as 1 oz for 60 min for about 10 IBU. Then, scale quantity linearly for volume, scale up 10% to 30% for higher wort gravity, and scale down 10% for longer boiling addition. I could simply substitute a known pellet for the Style .. but I really want to try out this hop resin extract. Any advice?

Internet search tells me: "HopShot is CO2-extracted hop resin that can be used for bittering or late additions to boiling wort — treat it just like leaf or pellet hops added during the boil. The HopShot syringe contains 5 milliliters of extract. One milliliter of HopShot yields approximately 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes. Test batches indicate that this bitterness may be slightly less agressive on the palate than your average hop addition."
slothrob

Re: HopShot Hop Resin Extract

Post by slothrob »

I think the easiest way to do this is to completely formulate your recipe with all your malts and volumes, but not the hops. Scale the gravity to 1.050 then add 1 hop (any one should do) edit it to rename it to "hop extract" and set it to 60 minute boil time. Adjust the quantity to arrive at 50 IBUs (5 mL x 10 IBU/mL). (If you want, you can fiddle with the AAs of the hop so that it takes 5 oz, and jot down that 1 oz = 1 mL, in the notes.)

Once you've done that, you can adjust the gravity to your target and add the rest of your hops to the recipe, as usual.

I don't know much about hop extracts, but that should work, as long as the extract isn't one of the newer isomerized extracts, which it apparently isn't.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP