time to clean out the cupboard..

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

time to clean out the cupboard..

Post by bredmakr »

I've got almost 3 lbs of dextrose sugar from various kits that I've brewed over the last year. I never use it because I keg carbonate. I hate to throw it out. Anyone have a recipe suggestion or any creative way to use this up?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

caramel adjunct?

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I recall a Randy Mosher AAB piece that described an abbey-style beer that used a pound or two of adjunct that was half sugar and half DME. he caramelized it in a large sauce pan until it was well caramelized but not burnt. I think he used plain old sucrose, but that would be a way to use up your dextrose.

If you don't like that, you could also make panes of sugar glass and throw your buddies through them like in the old Westerns :-)

Cheers,
Jim
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

throw it in

Post by jayhawk »

you could throw some in your next batch if you wanted to boost the OG. Not very creative, but at least it won't go to waste. Dextrose converts 100%, but lacks any nutrients yeast need, so you may want to add some yeast nutrient as well to help those guys convert the sugar.
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

3lbs in 10 gallons...too much?

Post by bredmakr »

thanks for the tips guys. going to add 3 lbs to a 10 gallon partial mash tomorrow. Its really a 1/2 mash. I get 6 gallons from my mash tun then I bring up to 12 gallons and make up the rest of the fermentables with malt extracts. this time I'm making an english strong bitter. Now plan to add the yeast nutrients and wondering if 3 lbs dextrose is too much.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

careful

Post by fitz »

Make sure you use at the very least 7 lbs of fermentable malt sugar(7 lbs of extract or 10 lbs of grain) The beer will be too wine like in taste if you don't. I had a problem like that once with corn sugar, and one once with honey. I keep it at least 70% 30% just as a precaution when using any corn sugar. If I could get the hang of Kraisening(Spelling?), then I wouldn't use the corn sugar at all. I like the bottle conditioning of some of the beer even when filling kegs. I even prime the kegs, The first couple mugs are a little hazy or yeasty, but its good for you. Hey, at least I am not eating cakes of yeast like the Belgians do.